icon

Amp cuts out

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mikeknerr 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2003 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  

I have a new soundstream v320.2 amp. Lately it has been cutting out on a regular basis. It's been installed for only 2 months. I don't play it real loud and the protection circuit does not turn on. When I turn the ignition off and then back on again, sometimes the amp will power up for a while and others not turn on at all. Sometimes it will work for a while and then quit. I've checked all of the connections and they are all strong and secure and all of my fuses are good.

Do you guys have any ideas?

esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2003 at 9:29 AM / IP Logged  
hook up a multimeter to the amp's remote turn on wire and watch the meter when you turn the car on and off.  Also do the same for the constant wire as well.
Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
mikeknerr 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2003 at 11:46 AM / IP Logged  
I'll try that and let you know what happens. Thanks.
mikeknerr 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2003 at 4:22 PM / IP Logged  

I checked the remote turn on lead and it shows 0 volts when the head unit is off and 13 volts when it is on. I also checked the constant wire and it showed 14 volts when the unit was off and it dropped to 5 volts when I turned on the head unit.

speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2003 at 5:24 PM / IP Logged  
sounds like its over heating to me. is the amp some where it gets plenty of air flow? feel the amp as soon as it shuts down, is it hot?
Big Dave
1998chevy1500 
Copper - Posts: 66
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2003 at 6:27 PM / IP Logged  
how big is the constant power wire to the amp?
mikeknerr 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2003 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  

I have 8 guage wire running to the amp and it doesn't get hot.  There are vents from the outside to the area and there seems to be plenty of room for the amp to get rid of the heat.

It worked up until now with that set-up.

MielGibson 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2003 at 8:15 AM / IP Logged  
Connect the remote turn on wire directly to the constant wire and see what happens. If the problem continues then you're amp needs servicing.
Xplocivic 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2003 at 9:33 AM / IP Logged  
When connecting your remote turn on to your constant, be sure to disconnect the remote turn on lead coming from the radio, because you do not want to send 12volts back to the radio,  I've seen decks damaged by this situation.  Just a heads up.
mikeknerr 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2003 at 10:20 AM / IP Logged  
I tested the constant when the amp was working and it read a normal 14 volts and dropped back to 5 volts when it stopped.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic