icon

Keeping radio on for a few seconds

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
1998chevy1500 
Copper - Posts: 66
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2003 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 1998 chevy truck with a rockford fosgate CD player(can't remember the model) and i wanted to know how to keep the radio on for a few seconds after it looses power so that i can go from the ON to the ACC position with the key without the CD player shutting down and rebooting.
my idea is a cappactor on the turn on wire of the CD player. how would i go about doing this?
thankx in advance
djfearny2 
Silver - Posts: 810
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2003 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged  
no wrong your radio works off of an acc wire which acc wires turn off when cranking. now you can do this by running a 16 guage wire fromt he red wire on radio to the pink whire from the ignition harness put a fuse as close to pink wire as possible. 10-15 amps is fine., this will make it so your radio does not shut down during crank.
email me i dont quite get why your loosing power going from the on possition . to acc please explain further. i know chevy the radio power is power by either the brown or orange wire from the key cylander and they are activated from the acc possition on the key so you should not be loosing power. unless your going backwords. with the key to the acc position if so you can get a timer relay and set it for like a few seconds so that it will stay latched giving power to red wire of radio to stay on for a period of time.
Jon
Installer/Help Technician
---coral springs florida---
mecp certification is not always needed. I have it and it has not helped me out at all. my experience out shines it.
1998chevy1500 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2003 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  
the problem is not during cranking it is that when i stop sometimes i like to shut off the engine but listen to the radio a little longer.
when i go from the ON to the OFF to the ACC position on the key the radio loses power just long enough to shut down and then restart playing.
bdl666 
Silver - Posts: 330
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2003 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  
    You can connect the radio acc wire toghether with the constant that way the radio will always have power. The only drawback is that when you turn off the truck you will have to also mke sure to turn off the radio.
1998chevy1500 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2003 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  
don't want to have to worry about turning off the radio seperatly.
would a cappacitor on the turn-on wire of the cd player do the trick? if so how big would it need to be and do i need a diode.
go2pac 
Copper - Posts: 179
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2003 at 11:31 PM / IP Logged  
Keeping radio on for a few seconds - Last Post -- posted image.
Delay diagram
This was designed for DVD players, but would work for a radio also.
Karl
Pacific Accessory Corporation
Mobile Audio Interfacing Equipment
Connecting You to Your Music Since 1976
MielGibson 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2003 at 8:06 AM / IP Logged  

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic