the12volt.com spacer
icon

can they make the wires any thinner?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
prdjr165 
Copper - Posts: 293
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2016 at 2:20 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote prdjr165
just installed a compustar CS800 /ADS-AL-CA in a 2016 Malibu PTS,all connections made at the BCM and some of the wires are so small it's almost impossible to strip the insulation without breaking the wire.It gets a little frustrating but i guess we have to deal with it.
racerjames76 
Silver - Posts: 581
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2016 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote racerjames76

Don't give em any ideas!

I use a gardner bender GS394 wire strippers. (MAC makes a less snazzy version too)

I simply get 2-3 inches of wire exposed and strip in 2 places about an inch apart just breaking the insulation, then I use an olfa knife to shave along side of the wire opening the newly freed piece allowing me to slip it off.

If at any point I feel like the metal conductor is being stretched or stressed I stop and do that procedure. Really if you are soldering every connection it is not a bad practice at all.

To master and control electricity is perfection. *evil laugh*
asb2106 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2016 at 3:15 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote asb2106
Im sure this is not best practice, but when i can safely isolate the wires, I will use my solder gun or a lighter to melt the sheilding a little and peel it back. then clean it up with the wire strips/side cutters
Tony B
The road to success is always under construction. - Lily Tomlin
prdjr165 
Copper - Posts: 293
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2016 at 3:40 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote prdjr165
i don't use T-Taps(tempting on the small gauge wires) so i just strip the insulation with a utility knife as carefully as i can. i will look into those Gardener Bender stripprs-i have something similar but find them hard to get in certain spaces.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2016 at 5:47 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
Seems like all the manufacturers are going to thinner gauge wires. Copper is expensive and considering all the electronics
in a modern vehicle, it saves a bit of weight. The new Toyota's and Honda's are the same. Very thin wires with only a few
thin strands of wire under the insulation. Inexpensive wire strippers are OK for the 12 gauge wires but near impossible to
use on the thin wires. A slightly dull blade on an exacto type knife will work when used judiciously. As asb2106 ( Tony B )
mentioned, using heat to soften the insulation and then your fingernails to separate and pull back the insulation is another
good way. Good control and feel with your fingers and you won't apply too much heat to keep from burning your finger tips.
I believe I saw a wire stripper that used a heated wire tip to melt the insulation and allow it to be pulled back at the same
time. Unfortunately, it was $300 and very gauge dependant, you needed a different one depending on the wire gauge...
Soldering is fun!
racerjames76 
Silver - Posts: 581
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2016 at 6:06 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote racerjames76
I should make a youtube video review of the gs394 and some tips i have on making it perform slightly better...
To master and control electricity is perfection. *evil laugh*

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic