the12volt.com spacer
icon

Make Dash Mold Without Damage

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
turbosaab 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2017 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote turbosaab
Hey everyone! I need help!
I have a 1999 Saab 9-3, and I'm planning out a custom gauge cluster. I'm not a huge fan of A-Pillar gauge pods as especially in this vehicle they create a pretty huge blind-spot. There is NO good place to mount gauges in this car, and in all of Saab's wisdom, they produced a high-pressure turbo car without an OIL PRESSURE gauge! (It has an idiot light...but that isn't cutting it.) I also picked up a 52mm oil temp gauge. In the photo you'll see what I'm thinking of doing. HERE'S where I need help!
I need to make a mold of the dash curvature so I can build a cluster out of the vehicle. I REALLY don't want to destroy my dash, nor do I want to drill holes in it. My plan is to mount a bracket on the inside of the glove box and have a single mount-point where it can't be seen. *(YELLOW) [[stock photo, not my interior]]
Here's my main question... What's the easiest way to make a mold of the curvature of the dash without destroying the dash? I don't really like the idea of painting fiberglass resin ANYWHERE inside the car. I don't want to destroy the interior. I'd like to sculpt a custom enclosure for the gauges in my workshop and fit it afterwards.
Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? Maybe I'm going about this a completely ineffective way, and if that's the case...what should I do differently?
Thanks everyone for any ideas or suggestions! Cheers!
~Michael Make Dash Mold Without Damage -- posted image.
12volt burnout 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2017 at 7:48 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote 12volt burnout
The only way I know how is to foil tape everything then apply your resin and maybe a thin coat of chop mat till its stiff..then pop your hardened resin off your dash then you have a exactty contured duplicate dash section from there build onto it. Foil tape is key protects dash and resin don't stick to it
9074life 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2021 at 6:53 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote 9074life
Why dont you take out the heater/ac vent from center cluster, it even looks like its two seperate vents you could remove half of it ( lets say the top one ) create a form from the vent removed and use that spot as your gauge pod.....just an idea..
Alaskanbrewed

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic