the12volt.com spacer
icon

2012 Toyota 4Runner Limited, alarm wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
redman2 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2017 at 10:23 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote redman2
Last night I verified wires and all looks good ( updated diagram for this vehicle is attached).
It looks like the Evo-All will power up from the OBDII wire(16). I guess I can power up the 2-way RF kit from the same wire, but I still need another permanent 12V to tap into for powering up the siren, glass and shock sensor. Not doing this every day, I don't know the best practices and I hope to get some advice. Thanks!
2012 Toyota 4Runner Limited, alarm wiring - Page 2 -- posted image.
shift_happens 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2017 at 11:30 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote shift_happens
You need to know total current draw of the added aftermarket parts and find an appropriate power source in the vehicle that the fuse wouldn't blow everytime the siren chirps.
EVO is barely 1 amp when in use. (7 mA when in sleep mode)
Siren will pull about 2 Amps Max (for 20 Watt sirens)
The sensors pull barely anything in terms of current draw.
The vehicles 12V at the OBD is most likely fused at something between 5-10 Amps.
OBD2 12V should be more than sufficient to power up everything but I would personally suggest a completely different power source for the siren. Like the big white wire at the fuse box or run your wire to the battery. Just add a fuse to your own wire, 5 Amps should be more than enough.
redman2 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2017 at 12:48 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote redman2
Got it! Thanks for the explanation... it really helps when you understand the reasoning behind doing things !
By the way, last night I opened the hood looking for the right place to install the hood pin switch and the siren ( Directed 514N)... Well, the metal "flange" on both sides of the hood ( where the hood pin would get mounted) is all insulated ( rubber seal) and I can't see a way to install a hood pin switch without removing at least some of the rubber seal... Maybe using a Mercury tilt switch ? Any suggestions or tricks for installing the hood pin and siren are gratefully appreciated.
Thank you in advance!
shift_happens 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2017 at 1:09 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote shift_happens
Glad to be of help!
Mercury switch is the better option (as long as they are legal in your locality). The regular hood switches will corrode extremely fast unless you give them a good coat of grease or something. Note that if your vehicle already has a factory hood-switch, you do not need to add one.
I would take a look at the pictorials part of this forum. There's got be a few posts in there showing how someone else did there under hood work. Different cars, same principals.
redman2 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2017 at 1:14 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote redman2
I've checked for a factory hood switch by arming alarm ( from inside car) and pulling the hood handle to open hood: it didn't trigger an alarm so I concluded that no factory switch was installed. If there is another way to check, please let me know.
Thanks again!
redman2 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2017 at 1:40 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote redman2
Something else: I suspect there is a siren installed for the factory alarm ( siren-like   chirps ) . I looked under the hood but can't locate it..Noise comes from the driver's side, under the brake piston.... Would it be possible to tap into that wire or, since OEM alarm will be active, it   needs a dedicated siren and should not be messed with ? Thanks!
shift_happens 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2017 at 2:13 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote shift_happens
Chances are you do have a factory hood switch if your vehicle is equipped with the factory alarm.
After locking the doors with the factory remote, wait. Wait about 1 minute. Then, open the hood from the inside without ever unlocking the doors.
2012 Toyota 4Runner Limited, alarm wiring - Page 2 -- posted image.
shift_happens 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2017 at 2:17 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote shift_happens
And yes.... ideally add another siren. Although tapping into the factory siren will not harm anything. It may just sound/chirp weirdly when both alarms get triggered.
redman2 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2017 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote redman2
You might be right.... I don't remember waiting a while before opening the hood ...I'll give it a try again.
By looking at it it looks like the the BLACK wire for the hood switch is at connector F9 which is the 30 pin connector I am looking at for the BTX,BRX & Parking lights. Is this correct?
If so, than siren trigger wire ( RED) is at F8 ...Which one would be F8 ? Above F9? :)
I love the diagram! :) BTW, What will it take to get a DIAGRAM like that for entire car?
Something else: I used to own a 2007 Nissan Quest and managed to get a full service manual as a set of PDF-s ( still have it but don't have the car :) ) Is there a similar manual for the T4R?
Thanks!
shift_happens 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2017 at 4:18 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote shift_happens
"I love the diagram! :) BTW, What will it take to get a DIAGRAM like that for entire car?"
--- OEM wiring from http://alldatapro.com/. There's a cost to diagrams like those.
Nissan BCS pdf I have seen a lot of people with it. Not sure for Toyota if something similar is available.
If the vehicle is equipped with a factory hood-switch, the EVO will detect its status (hood open or hood closed) through the CAN-BUS. No extra wiring needed.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic