the12volt.com spacer
icon

Subwoofer Wiring Using Single and Dual Voice Coils

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
magicmike33 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2017 at 12:35 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote magicmike33
I have 4 12 inch 4 ohm subs, two of them are single coils and two of them are dual coils, all 4 are in one sealed box that is divided in the middle and I'm trying to wire a single coil and a dual coil sub together on each side than bridge them together at the amp for a 2 ohm impedance can some help me out?
c0ryp1 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2017 at 2:05 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote c0ryp1
if amp is 2 or 1ohm stable
wire the two singles in series for 8ohm.
wire each dvc in series 8ohm
wire all 3 8ohm loads parallel for 2.67ohm
or if its 4ohm stable
wire the 2 singles in parallel for 2ohm
wire each dvc parallel for 2ohm
wire all three 2ohm loads in series for 6ohm
c0ryp1 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2017 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote c0ryp1
also the 2 single should be on one half separated from the dvcs. i like to have each one separated in sealed boxes i only share airspace when im porting
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2017 at 2:20 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote the12volt
Sadly, the end result will not be what you might be expecting when mixing different impedance/voice coil configuration woofers as you are trying to do. Your best result, using all the woofers you have, would be to use only one coil of each DVC woofer with the SVC woofers to achieve a 4 ohm mono load to the amplifier. However, you can attempt connecting all voice coils as described in the previous post above to see the difference and why it's a bad idea.
Subwoofer Wiring Using Single and Dual Voice Coils -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
magicmike33 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2017 at 2:49 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote magicmike33
The box is made into two Chambers
c0ryp1 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2017 at 3:32 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote c0ryp1
the12volt wrote:
Sadly, the end result will not be what you might be expecting when mixing different impedance/voice coil configuration woofers as you are trying to do. Your best result, using all the woofers you have, would be to use only one coil of each DVC woofer with the SVC woofers to achieve a 4 ohm mono load to the amplifier. However, you can attempt connecting all voice coils as described in the previous post above to see the difference and why it's a bad idea.
thats why i stated to have the 2 singles in the separated side together. ive never have used 2 singles and 2 dvcs but i have used 2 12's and 2 10s tens lowpass was set at 80hz and sealed while the 12s were set to 50hz and ported at 28hz to match the resonance of the car.
correct me if i am wrong but the only thing i think will happen is the dvcs will get slightly more power due to the extra wiring effectivly reducing the VC'S gauge allowing them to have a lower resistance and pulling more power from the amp. he may also not be using a mono block so another way around this could be to use a tuning mic and adjusting the gains to match the output of the different drivers.
if you have a 4ch amp driving these thats bridgable (4ohm mono stable)
wire the 2 svc to a channel each
and then wire the dvcs to 4ohm final(series-parallel) and bridge the 2 remaining channels
first increase the gains on the svc to where u like and then match the dvcs by ear.
ideally for this setup you should be using a RTA with a certified tuning mic this is a whole other tutorial and i wont go into the specifics right now but try the search
the12volt 
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2017 at 3:59 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote the12volt
Errr.... sheesh...
Putting the SVC woofers in one chamber and the DVC woofers in the other won't make a difference regarding my statement above.
Extra wiring between voice coils will not reduce the voice coils' gauge. Wiring the voice coils in parallel will have a lower resistance.
Again, mixing SVC woofers and DVC woofers to a mono amplifier is not the ideal way to go. Mixing different impedance woofers on a mono amplifier will not produce the same results as using multiples of the same impedance woofer.
Mixing SVC woofers and DVC woofers to a multi-channel amplifier is better than to a mono amplifier, but still not an ideal set-up (and probably undesirable), especially if you want them to reproduce the same spectrum of frequencies.
Using an RTA will not fix any of these issues I described above.
Please take some time to read through the topics here: https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_topics.asp?fid=22
Subwoofer Wiring Using Single and Dual Voice Coils -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
c0ryp1 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2017 at 5:35 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote c0ryp1
There is nothing in the link that I see about the the use of dvc with a svc sub.
I don't agree with the whole running 1 Vc either your effectively adding a very small amount of mass to the sub and this may or may not change the T/s parameters of the speaker. There are 2 reasons we use dvcs In car audio one is for expanded wiring options but the second that comes into play is powerhandeling capabilitys. When you wire a sub in parallel you are changing the gauge of wire it's the same as running 2 runs of power cable to amps it allows for more current to flow each wire is carrying half the current effectively changing gauge.
So the two dvc have the capability to carry more current if they can carry more current this means that they have less resistance even this they still measure the same on a multimeter. Therefore the path of least resistance will be the DVC and power favours this so the two DVC will get slightly more power. Whether it's noticeable to the human ear or not I don't know.
To see a example of power handling check out
Kickers comp line
44CWCD124 Dual 4ohm rms rating of 300w
43C124 Single 4 rms of 150
How is this possible?
the12volt 
Posted: July 06, 2017 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote the12volt
c0ryp1, you can disagree all you like, but you are not changing gauge. A DVC sub has two voice coils, both with the same gauge winding. Running them in parallel or series does not change the gauge of either voice coil. Your understanding of SVC versus DVC, gauge, and impedance is not accurate. Yes, DVC subs provide more wiring options in both car and home audio, however it is not necessary or always desirable/best to run both coils of a DVC woofer in parallel or to even use both.
Many manufacturers offer SVC and DVC woofers. Kicker's Comp line is no different.
Please read this thread: https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=74640
c0ryp1 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2017 at 6:02 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote c0ryp1
Yes some people do run 1 vc im saying I don't agree with it no it doesn't hurt but you are robbing efficiency from the speaker. I have provided my input and now it is up to op. To decide how he wants to wire it. Sorry I wasn't trying to argue I was just try trying my best to help some one out with my opinion of how this stuff works. I don't have any thing certifying me as a electronics profesional so my calculations could be off. It's the internet take everything with a grain of salt if you need a profesional opinion seek one out
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic