the12volt.com spacer
icon

Relay Grounding Issue

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ryanschofield10 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2017 at 7:35 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote ryanschofield10
I am having an issue with an external relay (Tyco V23234-C1001-X005) that I am adding to an automotive application. I am using a user defined output (ground) from my ECU to control a relay that powers a pump. When the ground from the ECU (terminal 85) is activated the relay should power terminal 87 to power the pump. The problem is when the 12V switched power is attached to terminal 86 on the relay the ground from the ECU at position 85 “loses” its ground thus making the relay inoperable. As soon as the 12V switched power if removed from the relay the ground is then present. I have tried multiple relays (with an internal diode) all with the same result. Terminal 30 on the relay is a fused 12V from the battery and terminal 87 is the connection to the pump.
I have measured the voltage on the relay with a multi-meter on the 12V switched (terminal 86) using the ECU output ground, while activated (terminal 85) this yields 0.3 V (not activating the relay) vs. 13.8 V when I use a alternative chassis ground (activates the relay properly). I have included my wiring diagram for reference. Thanks in advance
Ryan
ryanschofield10 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2017 at 7:42 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote ryanschofield10
Relay Grounding Issue -- posted image.
Forgot to attached the wiring diagram, here it is.
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2017 at 7:54 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote the12volt
When is the output from the ECU supposed to be active? When the output is supposed to active, does it show continuity to ground when not connected to the relay?
Relay Grounding Issue -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
ryanschofield10 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2017 at 8:05 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote ryanschofield10
The output from the ECU should be active whenever the water/methanol switch is active (that is the input that activates the ground). The switch will always be on unless I run out of the water/methanol mixture. So for arguments sake lets say the ECU will always be outputting a ground. I have confirmed in the ECU software that it is indeed properly outputting the ground. Yes, when not connected to the relay it grounds properly...
the12volt 
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2017 at 8:10 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote the12volt
Sounds like the ECU output is not strong enough to activate the coil of the relay. Since it should be on anytime the switch is on, I would use the output of the switch to activate the coil of the relay.
ryanschofield10 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2017 at 8:14 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote ryanschofield10
That's exactly what I was thought the problem was also. However, I can not bypass the ECU because the ECU needs to know when it is activated to make corrections to the fuel and ignition timing. Do they make relays that use a lower output to activate?
the12volt 
Posted: July 31, 2017 at 8:45 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote the12volt
Yes, you may be able to use a 6V, 5V, or 3V relay, though I'd probably use a PNP transistor to provide 12V+ to the coil of the existing relay, then ground the other side of the coil. You can find some PNP transistors here and search for relays too.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 31, 2017 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
Try this
Left leg of transistor to ground output of the ECU. Right leg to 85 of the relay.
Ground the tab or the center leg.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic