the12volt.com spacer
icon

Parking light issue, 2003 Audi A4

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
subprime 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: August 28, 2017 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote subprime
Having an issue with parking lights on a 2003 Audi A4 and hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I've checked the ground connections and they all seem good.
Front parking lights do not come on at all. They are parking/turn signal. Turn signal works fine. Passenger side is reading 6 volts. Driver side is reading 12.
Driver side rear is not giving a consistent reading and bounces all over the place. If I put a bulb in it blinks (like a turn signal).
Passenger side rear works fine.
The rear also has parking/brake lights. These work fine.
Any suggestions on what to check now?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 28, 2017 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
With a lamp in the socket and your meter grounded to the battery via a long enough wire to reach the battery, What is the voltage on both wires of the socket? For each light in question.
subprime 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2017 at 8:38 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote subprime
When you say both wires, you mean power and ground right?
I'm guessing if there's voltage when I check the ground, that means I have a short to ground somewhere.
Weather is not good today, but I'll check as soon as I can.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 29, 2017 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
If there is voltage on the ground wire there is an open circuit on the ground. Every electrical problem is called a short. This situation is an open.
subprime 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2017 at 6:35 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote subprime
So, I can't quite do what you asked. The wires go into a harness which then connects to the light assembly. There's rubber insulating the wires going into the harness and can't get my probe in there good enough to get a good reading.
In the rear I can check the readings at the holder with bulb in. Ground was reading .003 volts and the positive was bouncing around.
The front is a little worse because the bulbs go into a holder which is then inserted into the headlight assembly. There are no exposed wires at the bulbs. I tried sticking the probe in the harness and ground read .003 volts, positive bounces around but pauses at 3.9 volts for a quick second. This was the passenger side. I didn't check the drivers.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic