the12volt.com spacer
icon

Hyundai 2017 Santa Fe Sport - puddle lamp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mjonis 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2017 at 2:12 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mjonis
I'm new, please forgive any transgressions. I did search for things, but it came up with the "broken" message. I'm not 100% sure I should post here, or the wiring forum.
I have a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport (SFS) 2.0 T Ultimate AWD.
The US version doesn't come with puddle lamps, but apparently the European version does (it's unclear as to whether the side mirrors could actually be swapped out, but even if they could, they'd be pretty cost-prohibitive to do so).
I was wanting to use some LED underbody (just for the sides, but the ledunderbody kit comes with sides and front/back).
I wanted to have it function similar to the vehicle's native ability which is:
As you approach the vehicle, the key fob triggers the proximity sensor and there's a little tiny LED bulb on the inside of the exterior door handle that lights up so you can (presumably) see the door handle. I believe the Hyundai wiring diagram I did find refers to this as the: Pocket Puddle Lamp.
I had found some write up on the Hyundai forums, so my info is based on that, and nothing else.
Apparently the pocket lamp wiring is in the door (I've taken the door panel off so I know where it's at, although the wiring colors on mine differed from the write-up but may be due to the model year difference or something). Anyway, the wires go through the door to the vehicle via a rubber boot, and apparently clamp onto a canbus adapter? At least according to the writeup, there's nothing inside the vehicle that can be tapped into for the proximity sensor to work.
I'm not terribly keen on doing what the author had done which is to poke a hole in the rubber boot to run the wire tap and then drill into the vehicle body to get inside the vehicle. I've seen some posts where people bought an LED light to drill a hole into the underside of the side mirrors and go that route (slightly better, in that it's probably closest to how the EU models are done).
My only uneducated thoughts on the matter:
1) Find some magical canbus adapter/breakout box thingy that would be able to interpret that specific signal and connect to a relay or something that I could tap into for the ledunderbody kit.
2) Just give up and possibly use the add a circuit to tap into the fuse that does the dome light (dome light does NOT come on when the pocket lamp is on, but it will come on if you remotely unlock the vehicle, for example). The downside to that is that whenever the dome light is on, the underbody light would go on, and some people were saying something about that was bad ju-ju because the underbody lights are well, exterior and could fry everything in the vehicle if they get wet or something.
Again, I wasn't sure if this was a "lighting" type question or a 'wiring' type question, so I apologize profusely if I posted in the wrong forum.
I'm not sure if I can post URL's yet, but if I can, this is where I found the pocket lamp install:
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/dm-2013-santa-fe/169362-puddle-lamps-2.html
Thank you.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic