the12volt.com spacer
icon

Directech Generic Account Will Be Terminated

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jstolk2 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2017 at 10:48 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jstolk2
Just received an email from Directed stating they are restructuring their user accounts, and since I'm not an actual dealer or distributor, my generic account will be terminated October, 31st. Real bummer since I use their products a couple times a year and use directechs.com to flash firmware. What will I do now?
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2017 at 7:14 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
Upgrade to Fortin. Directech Generic Account Will Be Terminated -- posted image. Presently, you don't have to be an actual Dealer to have access to bypass module
firmware. You will need to get a FlashLink2 USB cable. They go for about $45. Fortin Tech Support is very
good and very friendly. While I'm sure there could be considerable debate on this subject, IMHO, for the
type of installs I do, both iDatalink and Fortin are better than XpressKit. Easier to follow Install Guides,
more reliable modules, better firmware. Bad situation but your options are limited. There is a slight learning
curve but you might be pleasantly surprised when you venture away from the snake pit...
Soldering is fun!
brownsfan1 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2017 at 7:47 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote brownsfan1
I have gotten by without for 2 years now. I use Idata and Fortin. You won't miss it. I do primarily new car dealership work and some referral retail. I haven't ran into a issue where Directed was the only solution. I'm sure it may come up.
jstolk2 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2017 at 10:17 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jstolk2
Thanks guys. I will definitely check that out.
cneubert42 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2017 at 7:53 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote cneubert42
I got the same email. I suppose my issue is that I install GPS tracking and camera systems for my vendors (I don't actually sell products) but on occasion (and enough that I have purchased both the XKloader 1 and 2)I recommend DEI equipment to the end customer when they ask me about keyless, RS, alarms, etc. and usually ask me to install if they purchase the equipment online (I usually suggest Amazon or Walmart.com, and usually recommend Avital as I always thought this was not a protected line)So my questions are these, 1. can I no longer program directed (xpresskit) modules? 2. if not, is DEI going to give me a refund for this equipment (the 2 loaders) that I purchased considering the fact that they are rendering them useless to me? 3. this is kind of a tricky one, but if a module that I programmed/installed, that I recommended, that my customer purchased online, was to lose it's programming then what if it has an issue? My warranty only covers my work so if the module loses its programming or bad then that would be out of my warranty but still having to tell the customer that they need to buy a different brand because I can't reprogram their old device or a new one? or that they need to take all of their vehicles into an authorized dealers shop and pay whatever they want to charge? I have the Fortin link and I do like their product and service, but I am more familiar with DEI. Anyone heard about an inexpensive option to pay for limited access? I only need programming access, I don't need Directwire, tech support (I have you guys for that), key2go, smart start activation (would be nice but haven't needed it yet), so maybe a small annual fee to still be able to support their business? Is Amazon an authorized reseller? the email did say to get your access through your reseller, will Amazon (or the retailer through Amazon) provide me an account? Sounds like Directed is going to lose a whole lot of business... I will send this to DEI and see what their final word is.
xtac1080 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2017 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote xtac1080
Amazon is about to get a whole lot of returns after October 31st....
jstolk2 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2017 at 8:36 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jstolk2
I'm in the same boat you are. I have the xkloader2 and have always liked the way their stuff works. And I also download the install diagrams from directechs as well. I'm not familiar with Fortin yet, but am looking into it today because I just got my first remote install of the season over the weekend and need to find a solution that I can use. I was also wondering about trying to find an authorized reseller that would let me sign up under their authority. But I'm not sure about how to go about finding one that I think would let me do so. Let me know what you hear back from DEI.
moparfreak13 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2017 at 5:58 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote moparfreak13
Me too. I do about 4 installs a year, give or take, so I obviously cannot sell the volume to be a dealer. I have the xkloader 2. Could enough of us get together and get them to allow access to the programming, since they made us buy the tools to do it? I mean, isn't that a form of breach of contract, since when we bought the tools, the programming was always supposed to be free? That was the understanding I had when I bought it. Even if it was like $10/ year I wouldn't complain, but to just shut us out with no options is awful rude and inconsiderate! All I'm after is access to the programming.Any thoughts on how we can make this happen?
norm w
cneubert42 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2017 at 6:07 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote cneubert42
Sorry Guys I have been busy. So I emailed them and they basically said in a slightly nicer term "too bad". I guess they don't realize how much of their products are purchased online via Amazon and Walmart and won't miss that rather large chunk of their revenue stream in the interest of "protecting their product lines". I am hoping that this will have such a negative impact on their bottom line that they realize what kind of mistake they have made but it really doesn't matter to me, I will no longer be purchasing or suggesting their product (even if they change back)until I am provided with a full refund for the DEI specific tools I have purchased(loaders). I did some quick math on this and I used to either purchase or recommend roughly $1000 a year in their product(figure between 15-20 installs at an average of $40-$75 each going to them) so if there is 100 other installers like me then that is $100,000 a year, and if there is over 1000, then now we are in the million dollar range, and this does not even include DIYers. Well good luck Directed, it is a dog eat dog world out there and you just pulled half of your own teeth out!
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2017 at 2:40 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
It would have been better if they did one of these things:-
Shut down the unauthorised suppliers or
Said anything goes then train/test/licence independent installers and only give a warantee if installed by them.
I had that arrangement as a mobile installer for years with Clifford in the UK.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic