the12volt.com spacer
icon

Viper 5101, No Crank, 03 Tahoe

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Reeceddogg 
Copper - Posts: 329
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2018 at 7:10 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote Reeceddogg
I installed a 5101 and xk01 on a 03 Tahoe a while back and everything was working fine. Now it's here with a no cranking problem. Everything else works. Dash lights up as normal. It gets to the first phase of remote starting but doesn't continue to the cranking phase. Thoughts?
lectricguy 
Copper - Posts: 359
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2018 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lectricguy
From the 5101 Manual--
IF The remote start will activate, but the starter never engages:
1.)Check for voltage on the purple starter wire two seconds after the remote start becomes active. If there is voltage present, skip to Step 4. If there is not voltage present, advance to Step 2.
2.)Check the 30A fuses.
3.)If the gray/black wait-to-start wire is detecting ground upon activation, the starter will not crank.
4.)Make sure the purple starter wire is connected on the starter side of the optional starter kill/anti-grind relay.
5.)Does the vehicle have an immobilizer? Some immobilizer systems will not allow the vehicle to crank if active.
6.)Check connections. The heavy gauge remote start input wires on the heavy gauge 10-pin connector should have a solid connection. “T-taps” or “scotch locks” are not recommended for any high current heavy gauge wiring.
Lectric Guy
Reeceddogg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2018 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote Reeceddogg
Everything checks out except for power to the starter(no starter kill) after 2 sec. All connections soldered.
Reeceddogg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2018 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote Reeceddogg
Forgot to mention I can hit the remote start while the truck is running and it will take over.
lectricguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2018 at 8:35 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lectricguy
Double check the following:
-H3-pin8 heavy gage RED lead powers accessory & Start relays. Check the lead is making good connection & fuse is good & seated properly.
-Check that there is no possible short for the grey/black wait to start wire.
-Check that the unit is properly programmed (i.e., you have not programmed the unit for Diesel operation by mistake).
How are you sensing engine crank? Tach, or other means? You may want to double check your tach connection and reprogram tach.
Does the ignition/accessory stay on for the programmed run time when you attempt the remote start?
Lectric Guy
Reeceddogg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2018 at 3:30 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote Reeceddogg
Checked the remote start harness, replaced fuses just to rule them out and wait to start multiple times.
Reset then re programmed
Used tach to a fuel injector
I did not see how long the ignition/accy stay on. I just noticed the viper never tries to crank nor does accessory drop out.
I opened the viper to check for burnt/bad solder points/connections. Everything looks good.
lectricguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2018 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lectricguy
Checked the remote start harness, replaced fuses just to rule them out and wait to start multiple times.--OK
Reset then reprogrammed--OK
Used tach to a fuel injector--Did you re-program Tach?
I did not see how long the ignition/accy stay on. I just noticed the viper never tries to crank nor does accessory drop out.--Seems like Wait to Start is active. May want to try turning Bank3 selection10 to Option 2 (off) and see if the accessory is still not dropping. At least this will give you an idea what may be happening. Originally I was curious if there were multiple attempts made to start.
You should also look at the auxiliary 5 pin harness pin 3 (Start(-)) and see if that wire activates. This is a negative signal and should go active when the heavy gage start is supposed to go active. If this aux start activates, you could use a relay to get the system working again.
I opened the viper to check for burnt/bad solder points/connections. Everything looks good.--If all else above fails, it may be time to swap out the brain...
Lectric Guy
Reeceddogg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2018 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote Reeceddogg
I did reprogrammed tach. It does seem like wait to start is active.
There is only one attempt to start and it seems to think the car is running. During that time ign & accy stay powered.
I thought about trying a relay but ran out of time. Just weird how it's been working all this time with no issues. I may just have to find a new brain
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 21, 2018 at 8:47 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
I don't know if this will work or not (and it's kind of a "Mickey Mouse" way of addressing it), but if it seems like the WTS is active, you could always program for the smallest delay instead (15 seconds). According to the manual, if a timed delay is programmed, the WTS wire does not function.
It couldn't hurt to try.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
silvercivicsir 
Copper - Posts: 402
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2018 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote silvercivicsir
how about you put a test light on the purple wire to see if the starter is providing 12V+. (if it is, might be the passlock)
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic