the12volt.com spacer
icon

2014 Malibu Backup Camera Wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
razoredge 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2018 at 12:01 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote razoredge
I need wiring information for my 2014 Malibu so that I can disconnect the rear camera.
It is too distracting and we do not use it. We are planning to install some rear sensors in the bumper so that we can have audible and visual assistance while backing. Just blocking the camera does not eliminate the screen from changing on the video display when in reverse.
I would like to know how to disable it in a way that can be restored when it is sold.
Any assistance would be appreciated.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 23, 2018 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
It may be data controlled. It may have a 12 volt reverse wire at the radio harness. You will need to use a meter to see if you can find a wire at the back of the radio that goes to 12 volts when the reverse lamps are illuminated. If you find such a wire, cut it far enough back so you can reconnect it later.
If it is data controlled you will have to have the dealership remove it via programming of the BCM.
mgoetz74 
Silver - Posts: 424
Silver spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 23, 2018 at 3:34 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mgoetz74
there will be a 20 pin plug at the radio, pin #5 should be a grey/yellow and below that pin #15 there should be a white/blue. Grey/yellow and white/blue both says its camera signal #2, what ever that means. Those are probably just you video + and -. The can bus system (bcm) probably tells the deck to switch over to the camera when you put it in reverse. Dealership may be the only way to stop it completely.
33 years as a installer now just a retired old guy. Favorite thing to install/topic are remote starts/car alarms. Stop using test lights!!!
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2018 at 6:37 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote sparkie
The radio is controlled through data to switch to the backup camera. It can't be unprogrammed. Nor should any GM dealer try to do so as they could be held libel in an accident. Simply disconnecting the camera will leave you with a black screen with grid lines while reversing. Saying that the camera image is distracting is foolish. The camera is an important safety option. You can add sensors to add a further level of safety as they are helpful if your not watching the radio screen while backing up. If your not watching the screen then you had better be watching your side view mirrors or turning your head to look rearwards. Backup cameras save lives and property that sensors may not pick up.
sparky

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic