icon

Subwoofer instal

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
darkcure211 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2003 at 6:27 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 750 watt model 600d Directed audio amp.  I also have two Cerwin-vega subs.  One of these subs is and svc and the other is a dvc.  They are exactly a 12in. vega series 12d4 and a 12in. vega series 124.  How do you hook up an svc and a dvc to the same amp correctly?
vega man
kidshamrock_200 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2003 at 7:42 PM / IP Logged  
There is no correct way. You have two subs and a mono block amp, with one being dvc. That means no matter what one sub will have more power going to it. you never want to mix SVC, and DVC subs, you also dont want to mix subs that are different ohms such as a 4 ohm sub and an 8 ohm sub because once again one will always see more power. -e-
PAIN Hz
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2003 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  

I disagree with the comment about never mixing DVC and SVC subs.  Although in general I'd try to avoid it, it can still be done with a 1 channel amp.  The main thing is that each subwoofer's effective load on the amplifier has to be the same; as long as that is the case, the total amount of power going to each subwoofer is going to be the exact same, regardless of whether or not they're DVC or SVC.

You would need a DVC sub with 2-ohm voice coils wired in series (4 ohm effective load), or a DVC sub with 8-ohm voice coils wired in parallel (also a 4 ohm effective load), if you were looking to run the DVC along with your 4-ohm SVC sub.

OR, the DVC sub you have now (dual 4-ohm) will only work if your SVC sub had a single 2-ohm or 8-ohm voice coil.

You can fool around with RF's woofer wiring wizard to get a graphical representation of how series and parallel wiring is done, just keep in mind the diagrams shown use identical subs, not mix and match.

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
kidshamrock_200 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2003 at 11:30 PM / IP Logged  
Right, if he had a single 8 ohm sub, or a single 2 ohm sub he would be fine. As long as he can get the same ohm load on each sub he can run a single and a dual voice coil sub, but the problem is he can't. And it's going to be hard and impossible to find a single 2 ohm, or dual 8 ohm sub especially in that brand and model because they didn't make one. Another thing to watch out for is spec changes between the subs. sometimes the DVC versions will be slightly different from the svc models. When possible get subs that can play well together  -e-
PAIN Hz
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2003 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  

Completely agree with you shamrock on all of those points; I just wanted to make sure that everyone out there knows that it is technically possible, given you have the proper equipment.  but I think you're right he's gonna have a hard time finding a sub of the same model line to match up with, and so for his purposes it's not possible.  Thanks for the clarification.

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Posted: June 05, 2003 at 11:15 PM / IP Logged  
Here's another school of thought. Independant wiring isn't really recommended (like I keep saying to anyone who asks!). But if you're gonna do it, using a mono amp is the safest way I could imagine. So... If you wire each coil of the DVC independantly, then you are presenting two 4ohm loads instead of one 2ohm load. Wire the SVC to the amp as well and you're off and rolling at a 1.33 load (which the amp is stable at). Based on your specs, you should get just under 200watts to the SVC, and just under 200watts to each coil of the DVC. Problem solved Subwoofer instal -- posted image.
Subwoofer instal -- posted image.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic