the12volt.com spacer
icon

2002 Volvo V70 Alarm Installation

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gtdms 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2018 at 2:30 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote gtdms
Hi All,
this is my first post here so I live in uk and found this very intresting and informative forum which I am looking forward to learn and share my experiences with you.
I am considering to have an budget after market Chinese car alarm/key less entry system installed on 2002 Volvo v70. I have basic electronics background but never installed a car alarm before. Few people say that Volvos are big hassle to have aftermarket alarms installed but that potentially it is possible if the installer is good enough. As I didn't find any reference to volvos here in this forum I would like to hear from who have done sucessfully or not to share their experience here. A car mechanic told me that the car canbus wouldn't like. The factory alarm never worked in this car since I bought, alarm siren is dead and key fobs are missing prices of these parts on Volvo are much higher than a new alarm system and ther emay be a possibilty their may be something else wrong with the car so an aftermarket is a far more atractive solution . Any ideas how to do this could be done on a car like this would be much appreciated? Thanks
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 02, 2018 at 7:09 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
While I have only done one keyless entry on an old Volvo (don't remember year/model), see if this helps:
http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/bdnew/vehiclewiringdiagrams.aspx
http://diagrams.marktoonen.nl/printlist.aspx?MakeID=42&ModelID=18693
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
eguru 
Copper - Posts: 340
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2018 at 8:35 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote eguru
Which brand of Chinese Keyless entry are you installing?
I am sure that some forum members will be able to help you if we have details on the hardware you are installing.
gtdms 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2018 at 9:44 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote gtdms
Great. Thank you so much. it is all ready a very good starting point to have these wirings reference and colour code.
In communication with Volvo owners and experts they discouraged me to use after market alarms or parts in any kind of Volvo. As I mentioned before some people has mentioned that Volvo are particularly trick for installations. I am not sure if this is actually truth or they are just been purists who just like to use Volvo parts only and avoiding any modifications.
In fact I got particularly concerned with the fact that based on their views any other non volvo system would somehow mess up or be incompatible with the car network can bus.
Would you remember if you need to disconnect any Volvo alarm parts and which one would these be?
One of my main concerns is try to reduce the striping of internal plastic covers and triming to a minimum and therefore it would be great if any of the members which have done volvo particularly v70 before could post a pictorial on the forum as I don't actually find this info nowhere on the web.
Regarding the model to be installed on my car I have 2 options which will depend upon others opnions regaring the level of difficuty for this car. At the moment I got a keyless entry only with 2 fobs and receiver (Lanbo LB-405)this would resolve the problem of this car fobs. I would like to have this installed using the original volvo actuators. However this wouldn't be the perfect solution as the car still without any alarm.
The second option is to install again a budget chinese Alarm/keyless entry( I don't have these with me yet but it would be something very basic no remote start or anything like this). I am still divided which one I will try to install and just would like to hear from people if it is possible to have this done sucessfully without any drawnbacks. As I mentioned before volvo experts have been very reluctant about touching in the car wiring /installing any other system than originals as could potentially mess up the entire network. Even tought they know a lot about volvos I am not sure about their competence in car electrics / alarms. However If I don't find anyone who has done sucessfull which can share the info with me I would by now be also reluctant as I am not intrested to start a project that is dull to fail.
Photo of keyless entry attached now. I will post the alarm diagram soon.
2002 Volvo V70 Alarm Installation -- posted image.
eguru 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2018 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote eguru
There is no requirement to make any connections to the CANbus for simple keyless entry - especially since you state that the factory alarm doesn't work.
Have you read the installation instructions for the Lanbo unit? Doesn't it already contain a shock sensor and provide alarm capability - although I don't see where it is monitoring the dome light or door switches?
gtdms 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2018 at 11:55 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote gtdms
eguru wrote:
There is no requirement to make any connections to the CANbus for simple keyless entry - especially since you state that the factory alarm doesn't work.
Have you read the installation instructions for the Lanbo unit? Doesn't it already contain a shock sensor and provide alarm capability - although I don't see where it is monitoring the dome light or door switches?
I don't think this got alarm capabilities I am attaching the full paperwork from it. This is a keyless entry system only.2002 Volvo V70 Alarm Installation -- posted image.
gtdms 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2018 at 12:11 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote gtdms
I am no expert but these people seems to be? and from what I get from this discussion there is no way around it? Even to use an aftermarket keyless entry which seems bizar to me:
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=285669
I am not sure if that is as complicated as they make it sounds but if anyone think is just a normal installation as anyother I would like to hear from people.
As I sad I am no expert but a keyless entry system seems a simple and straight forward installation. Do I need to cut the wires from car actuators to communicate to the rest of the car and connect to the new receiver? Can I connect turning lights and horn just using cable splice? do I need to disconnect any other car original device? or leave eveyrthing as it is?
eguru 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2018 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote eguru
When dealing with car alarm, keyless entry, etc electronics, you are usually better off getting advice on this site than the car enthusiast forums.
From the links posted earlier by geepherder, this doesn't look like a difficult install. There should not be any need to cut wiring.
Pulling off some plastic panels is a bit daunting at first, but if you get yourself some plastic panel tools you will find it pretty easy.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 02, 2018 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
While I don't have the vehicle in front of me, it seems like the toughest part (may not really be that difficult) is running two wires into the door to control the power locks. If you can do that, the rest should be fairly simple.
An alternative would be to purchase a module from Fortin or Xpresskit to simplify your wiring. I can't attest to their reliability, though:
https://fortin.ca/en/vehicles/volvo/v70/2002-standard-key/
https://directechs.com/VehicleCompatibility?VehicleYear=2002&VehicleMakeName=Volvo&VehicleModel=V70&__RequestVerificationToken=CfDJ8KaFf5gLp3VCngv4yerkDFNfnjYwrBBYItJxu8qvTFD8djavY14A2U2G0Syq4vxrnPhK2LL4Ndy_4KaXVu8iDQNK_rPqgvhmaDE1Ore1jooRj0_JjUXiZbNQKDrb6NIArDxaPkx2uY8LRFSz1UhiRXk
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
gtdms 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2018 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote gtdms
eguru wrote:
When dealing with car alarm, keyless entry, etc electronics, you are usually better off getting advice on this site than the car enthusiast forums.
From the links posted earlier by geepherder, this doesn't look like a difficult install. There should not be any need to cut wiring.
Pulling off some plastic panels is a bit daunting at first, but if you get yourself some plastic panel tools you will find it pretty easy.
thanks for that. what sort of tools would I need?
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic