subwoofer positioning?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
demeanor 
Copper - Posts: 81
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2003 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  
Um hey guys...
does it make a drastic difference whether the subwoofer is facing out or into the box? Do you know what i mean? Like a box with the front of the speaker visible. And a box with the rear of the sub visible?
Is the output of that sub audibly different?
A client asked me that and i want to make sure that i explained it right. Your reply will be greatly appreciated. Thnx
It's better to ask a "STUPID" question...than to know a "STUPID" answer. :-)
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2003 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  
Are you referring to Isobaric mounting?
Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
bdl666 
Silver - Posts: 330
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2003 at 12:25 AM / IP Logged  
      You are just goin to have to try it. I've had subs that sound better backwards. Can't tell you why but for some reason some of them do. In theory they should be louder facing forward because the cone will be able to move more air (larger surface area on the front ) .
demeanor 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2003 at 9:10 AM / IP Logged  
hey esmith69...that was a pretty informative link...thanks...but what i was reffering to was the way a single sub is mounted in a box. would it make a drastic differece whether it is inside or outside the box? i tought that a speaker moves outward the same way it moves inward...because of the T/S parameters, the sinewave makes the coil move accros the magnet the same distance up and down. my question is if the obstructions that the frame and magnet impose on the rear of the sub make it a drastic difference compared to the fron of the sub that has no obstructions?
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2003 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  
I think you're referring to Inverted Mounting. There's been some dispute as to whether or not you lose SPL by doing this, I'm one that believes you do. Run some searches on this site for "Inverted" and you'll see what some others have said about it.
You would also need to take the sub's displacement into account for the proper enclosure volume.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
demeanor 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2003 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  
he-hey WVSQUIRREL...thanks a bunch for that info. it eplained pretty much to the T what i was asking about. i guess it was an oversight on my part...(i didn't know the name was "inverted-mounting") the search i did was on sub mountings.
but thanks again.
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2003 at 11:27 AM / IP Logged  

I am one of the people on this site that believes that there is no audibly difference in the spl of an inverted sub. How ever in a small number of subs you do hear the vent on the back of the sub breath. You can not hear this inside the cabin of the car but you will hear it if you are near the sub itself. another thing to remember besides taking into consideration the displacement of he sub, is that the sub will be out of phase so you will need to reverse the polarity on the sub to correct the phase +to- and -to +.

wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Posted: June 06, 2003 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  
Thx bberman, forgot about the phase!
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic