the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Can Viper or Compustar Remote Turn On My Rear Defroster?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
navels 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2018 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote navels
I'm looking into purchasing a cellular-capable remote start system for my 2010 Honda Accord (EX-L V6 automatic 4-door with leather but not navigation). I'm wondering if it will be possible to set things up so that the electric rear defroster is controllable remotely.
The problem being, when the car is started all the previous climate control settings are retained except for this one. During the winter I can, before turning the car off, set the controls to front defog with the heat cranked all the way up, as well as turning the seat heater on. Then when remotely started those systems will start going and by the time I get to my car it'll be ready to go . . . except for the rear window.
The electric rear defroster is turned on by pushing a button, not rocking a switch, and it automatically shuts off after 10-30 minutes. I'd be most likely paying an installer to put this system in, but I'm open to some level of DIY hacking around if that's the only option.
Thanks!
Lee
navels 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2018 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote navels
Well I should know better than to post before searching . . . for some reason I thought I was a special snowflake asking a question that had likely never been asked before in history. After searching and reading some posts I see that it should be possible with the Viper system to turn on the defroster when starting the car. Hopefully this is something the installer can sort out . . . if not, I'll be back!
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 641
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2018 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
I've seen pics of sedans and coupes with exploded rear windows with heavy snow on them. Presumably the heat grid on the super-cold glass was the cause. Very much like what happens to the windshield with the front defroster, but the laminated windshield cracks, where the tempered rear glass shatters. It's probably not a great idea to attempt to melt snow with the defogger grid on a window that can accumulate a lot of snow. This won't be a problem with a vertical back window like a pick-up truck or SUV, but I wouldn't hook up the defogger to R/S on an Accord.
navels 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2018 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote navels
Makes sense . . . not too much of an issue here in Seattle Can Viper or Compustar Remote Turn On My Rear Defroster? -- posted image.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic