the12volt.com spacer
icon

Late Model Ford Horn Connection

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
the vuking 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2019 at 11:56 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote the vuking
kreg357 wrote:
The clckspring is the steering wheel connector I was referring to as the wheel plug. Please be cautious when probing wires and disconnecting plugs at the steering wheel, especially Yellow ones. The air bag circuits are there and you can deploy the airbag that way. Ford has a bad habit of including the Horn wire in the same connector as the air bag.
How are you checking "went to ground" with the DMM. Describe the setup.
I put one leg of the DMM to a 12v Posative then with the other lead I backprobe the yellow connector whilst pressing the horn looking for ground Kreg
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2019 at 2:55 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
Sound right. The DMM will show 0 volts and then go to +12V when the horn button is depressed.
Soldering is fun!
mustyk@att.net 
Copper - Posts: 132
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2019 at 8:20 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mustyk@att.net
Just a note: I have installed hundreds of these vehicles since 2015. The (-) horn wire color hasn't changed since then . It is and always has been blue/white. Note there is as many as 3 blue/white wires in that Blue 60 pin conn. Always use pin #17.
thetopinstaller
the vuking 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2019 at 4:41 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote the vuking
mustyk@att.net wrote:
Just a note: I have installed hundreds of these vehicles since 2015. The (-) horn wire color hasn't changed since then . It is and always has been blue/white. Note there is as many as 3 blue/white wires in that Blue 60 pin conn. Always use pin #17.
Thanks for your reply what you mention is the connection at the BCM which on my vehicle is quith hard to get to and thats with a good bit of the dash removed. would you happern to know the connection at the steering column ?
mustyk@att.net 
Copper - Posts: 132
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2019 at 8:41 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mustyk@att.net
Yes, it is true you have a little more work to access the BCM. But it CAN be done in about 3 minutes. Remove the panel under the steering column ( {9} 7mm screws to be exact) Unplug the power mirror switch, unplug the headlamp switch, and then you have full access to all the BCM connectors. Horn switch wire at the column is still blue/white wire coming from the "Clockspring". The clockspring is situated directly behind the steering wheel.
thetopinstaller
the vuking 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2019 at 5:38 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote the vuking
mustyk@att.net wrote:
Yes, it is true you have a little more work to access the BCM. But it CAN be done in about 3 minutes. Remove the panel under the steering column ( {9} 7mm screws to be exact) Unplug the power mirror switch, unplug the headlamp switch, and then you have full access to all the BCM connectors. Horn switch wire at the column is still blue/white wire coming from the "Clockspring". The clockspring is situated directly behind the steering wheel.
Thanks for the reply I got it figured out found the blue/white at the column. This is a Transit Custom which you guys in the US dont get and buy looking at the pictures Kreg has uploaded in his transit R/S istall it looks a lot less hassle to connect wire to the BCM than on my van. would love to see a detailed install gudie for a full alarm install by you mustyk as I'm sure a lot of the connection would relate to the uk transit custom and be a great help to transit ownwers as I see these transits are becomming very popular in the States.;
Page of 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic