the12volt.com spacer
icon

Viper 5305V Trunk Release Negative Output Problem, 1990 Ford Mustang

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
redfox90 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2019 at 2:07 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote redfox90
Ok so update, I recieved the transistors(2n3906) and the relay in the mail. After connecting everything as mentioned it still doesn’t work. With just positive and ground between terminals 2(85) and 5(86) I can get the relay to click. But here is where the issue is:
As I set it up:
-Alarm output wire ties into a 1k resistor and the resistor goes into the B leg of the transistor.
-Chassis ground goes to leg C of transistor
-Leg E of transistor goes to 2(85) Of the relay
- Relay #5(86) is 12v fused hot
-Relay #1(30) tried both 12v hot and extra ground separate attempts
-Relay #3(87) goes to trunk release switch wire
The Alarm output wire will not ground enough still to trigger the relay. I tried testing other aux output wires on the viper alarm and none of them work. Sure enough the red and white wire is the only output that works when I press the button on the remote and it sends a signal. One thing to note is that with just testing terminal 85 with a multimeter on dcv before, resting terminal 85 with my original attempt was 12v and while pressing the six button it only would dip down to 11.56v. That was measuring the negative output wire and how much it would ground. Now with the resistor and the transistor it goes from 12v resting to 6.30 with the aux button pressed which means it is working pretty good but not enough. Taking a ground wire from the chassis and touching terminal 85 will make it click instantly so that tells me that the transistor is still not helping enough to ground the input wire and trigger the relay. I have multiple transistors would wiring up another one help to strengthen th power of the negative output wire? I don’t know what to do at this point?
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 31, 2019 at 2:23 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
You don't need the 1000 ohm resistor because of the placement of the relay coil in the circuit. Do away with the resistor and post back your results.
In other words, connect the Viper's output directly to the base.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
redfox90 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2019 at 2:37 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote redfox90
I tried it without the resistor and same result. It’s still doesn’t work. The moment I introduce a ground to terminal 2(85) the relay triggers and the trunk pop works. But using the aux button on the remote it won’t pop on it’s own. The output wire isn’t grounding enough
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Posted: May 31, 2019 at 4:12 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
Leave the transistor as it is and apply ground to the Base connection, does that energize the relay?
redfox90 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2019 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote redfox90
Yes applying ground directly to the base which also has the alarm output wire will get it to trigger
geepherder 
Posted: May 31, 2019 at 4:52 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
You can use a Darlington PNP in place of your current transistor. Instead of a gain (hFE) of say, 20, it may have a gain of 1000.
redfox90 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2019 at 4:58 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote redfox90
Is there any way to get it to work with what I currently have? I have 8 more of the 2n3906 transistors. If not can someone post a link to the exact transistor that I need? I just want to be done with this thing already.
geepherder 
Posted: May 31, 2019 at 5:18 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
If you have more, you can connect two together to form your own Darlington pair. You will still need some resistors. You might get away without the diode, but I'd still recommend it.
Here is an equivalent circuit from a darlington PNP datasheet:
Viper 5305V Trunk Release Negative Output Problem, 1990 Ford Mustang - Page 3 -- posted image.
redfox90 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2019 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote redfox90
I don’t completely understand that schematic. I have looked up that basically the collectors go together and the emitter from one goes to the base of the other. As of rn I only have 1k resistors, I’m looking at the darlington pnp transistors Would this one work?
https://www.amazon.com/Pieces-TIP120-Power-Darlington-Transistors/dp/B00NAY1IBS/ref=mp_s_a_1_1/136-9742292-0919728?ie=UTF8&qid=1559341198&sr=1-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&dpPl=1&dpID=51XDgj8f2uL&ref=plSrch
geepherder 
Posted: May 31, 2019 at 5:46 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
Sorry. Yes, that's basically correct.
A TIP120 is an NPN. You need a PNP. A TIP125 would be a PNP equivalent and should work. I don't know if you have a Fry's near you, but you can just search for "darlington". Then see which one's are PNP.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic