the12volt.com spacer
icon

Clipping in Speakers and Head Unit Gain

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
joeslacker 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2019 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote joeslacker
Ok so I'm getting really pitchy highs when I turn my volume up on my Kenwood KFC-X303 cd receiver. I had a friend tell me to lower the right end of the line graph and I did so. Then he told me to lower the gain. I'm pretty new to car audio so I found two gains one in the crossover and one in DTE settings on the head unit.
I turned down the tweeter front right, front left, rear right, rear left, in the DTE settings to -3db from zero.
Then I turned down the tweeter gain left and gain right to -3db from zero as well. I also turned the front HPF and Rear HPF gain to -3db from zero as well.
This didn't seem to help the clipping. I'm using 14 awg wire at a length of about 20 feet each to each speaker. Don't know exactly what ohm setup it is but i would imagine if it's 2 ohm then maybe the speaker can't handle that power from the amp in my head unit maybe? (22 watts rms). Also am using a 30 volt ac to dc converter for my home don't know if this matters though.
Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks guys.
joeslacker 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2019 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote joeslacker
There is no make or model to my car since I'm using this in a home.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 22, 2019 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
How high is the volume when this starts to occur (30 out of 35, higher, lower, etc.)? Is it on one particular source (AM/FM/CD) or all? What speakers are you using and what is their rated impedance?
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
joeslacker 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2019 at 10:50 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote joeslacker
Thanks a lot for the reply my dude It starts at about 18-20 out of 35 and it's on auxiliary source all the time. I believe the speakers are 2 way jbls but I'll have to take them apart to find out. And by impendence do you mean the wattage? I would imagine they could handle the 22 watts from the decks built in amp wattage. But yeah I'll have to know what you mean by impendance. I'll try and take them apart now.
joeslacker 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2019 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote joeslacker
Yeah so I just tore it apart it's a 4 ohm impendance 39-3200 frequency response and 60-130 watt power handling
and the make / model Is a mb quart qm 1269 kx
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Posted: May 23, 2019 at 5:05 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
Are you using a phone as the input? Is this while you are charging?
If so, are you able to use the USB input instead?
If not, you can try a ground loop isolator.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Posted: May 23, 2019 at 5:29 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
30 volt AC to DC converter? Need more details on this. Have you used a volt meter to see what the voltage is across the radio yellow wire and chassis of radio?
joeslacker 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2019 at 2:41 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote joeslacker
I'm sorry I didnt leave all the info with you guys as I'm pretty new to this but to answer your questions:
No I'm not using a phone as the input I'm using auxilary but the problem still exsists with other in puts such as usb (of that I've tried)
I'm going to be talking with my dads friend tomorrow who basically builds sound systems from the ground up so I'll mention the ground loop isolator to him when he gets here. thanks again for taking the time to reply to my message.
@I am an idiot--
Ok so I got the box for it right here. It's called a Pyramid PSV-300 Fully Regulated Low Ripple 30 Amp Switching DC Power Supply. I guess my dad just calls it an ac to dc converter. I'm pretty sure you know already but for those who don't it just basically makes it so I can use my cars sound system in my house/room -- Which is what I am doing.
Hopefully this helps you guys help me. Thanks again.
gshookupz 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2019 at 11:35 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote gshookupz
Is the power supply able to put out enough current it may have issues, are these speakers wired to one channel each? How about correct speaker polarity? The deck will do exactly that if its wired with two speakers in parallel making 2ohm load. Work just fine up to about half volume. Any way you can substitute a car battery to see if the issue is the power supply?
Do it movin! "I still have the Twindows modules from My 86 mr2 in the bottom of my box"
joeslacker 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2019 at 11:13 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote joeslacker
The speakers polarity are good. Idk why it would be a 2ohm load when they are 4 ohm speakers as well as the head unit being set for I believe 4 ohms (but I'd have to check). I believe in the front of the ac to dc converter the speakers I believe are hooked up from left side back of the head unit as well as the ac to dc converter being hooked up to the same spot with the same type of speaker wire cable to the front negative and positive terminals of the ac to dc converter (siwtching dc power supply) also the same speaker wire is hooked up to the back of the sub amp to the same terminals the speaker wire is hooked up to on the ac to dc converter. with the exception of one being a higher gage I htink 8 guage wire being hooked up to the positive (red) terminal on the ac to dc converter. Hopefully this all made sense to you man. I doubt it is the power supply because people have hooked up 600 watt amps to it with pleanty of other power but it's entirely a possibility since I have a pretty beefy double 10" 300 watt rms subs with 300 watt rms amp to it. I guess worst case scenario if my new polk audio mm1 series speakers have the same problem then it's definitely worth considering.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic