the12volt.com spacer
icon

Speakers Clip At Higher Volume

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jamesrundles 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2019 at 2:22 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jamesrundles
I recently replaced all stock midrange speakers and now I have a problem. I ran all new wire from the head out. It is 12 gauge wire. I put in some bass blockers then went to like 20 gauge wire for about 8 inches to the speaker. The bass blocker is soldered directly to the speaker. I used a pioneer 6.5 for midrange. At lower volumes they sound great at higher volume they start to clip out and distort and sou d really bad. Before I reace them again I was wondering if the differences in wire is my issue. Please advise and thanks.
James
eguru 
Copper - Posts: 340
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2019 at 4:01 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote eguru
Bypass the bass blockers and see if that solves it. The wire is not the issue.
jamesrundles 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2019 at 6:27 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jamesrundles
If bypassing the blockers fixes this issue what would you all suggest I use to Remove low end bass signals from the midrange without useing a crossover network
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 28, 2019 at 2:05 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
Why did you change the wires? I understand if you have an amplifier that does 200 actual watts per channel. You said from the head unit to the new speakers. What vehicle is it? Did you possibly unknowingly bypass a factory amplifier?
jamesrundles 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2019 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jamesrundles
It is a 2004 mitsubishi endeavor. I knowingly bypassed the factory amp which is why I ran new wire from the head unit out. I have amp and subs and just want the bass out of the mids. So I replacrd factory speakers and added blockers now I cant turn it up without it clipping and distorting really bad. The speakers have no power to them only what the head pushes like 30 watts. So now evertything that was stock is either unplugged or removed and everything is rewired. With the stock speakers in I didn't have this problem so it most likely is the blockers so I will remove them and test then post the results.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 28, 2019 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
Does your radio not have a crossover? What is the make and model of the deck?
If your stock radio was working, Could this have helped?
jamesrundles 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2019 at 12:18 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jamesrundles
Radio does not have a crossover. It is a simple dual brand dvd media player deck. The factory was fine. Had some CDs stuck but ok sound. The setup from stock was not able to add anything so I was told. Anyway I took off the blockers on the back 2 doors and it is able to play louder a bit but still pops and sounds muffled or muddy. The front sounds fine untill it clips and pops. Not sure what to do next. I get better sound when I fade it to the front a couple clicks.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2019 at 12:43 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote DYohn
Speakers don't clip, amplifiers clip. If what you are hearing is actually clipping it is likely that the impedance of your replacement speakers is too low. If the speakers are actually causing the issue, then you are over-driving them with too much power.
Support the12volt.com
jamesrundles 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2019 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jamesrundles
Thanks to all for the suggestions. At the end of the day yesterday I pulled off all the bass blockers and all was better. My head unit has a loud frequency cutoff of 400 800 and 2400mhz. Not sure how this all really wirks I'm assuming it acts as a frequency blocker ir crossover of sorts. Set it on 400 and played with the 7 band and I think I got it where I can live with it. If there is anyone who can explain the cutoff thing id appreciate it. It is a xdvd276bt dual unit. And not sure if clippong was the right phrase more poping and distorting as there is only head power no extra amp. Anyway thanks
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2019 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote DYohn
When a speaker makes a popping sound that is generally caused by either a bad connection or too much power driving the speaker to hit the mechanical stops (AKA, bottoming out.) Based on your post I'd guess you are a beginner, yes? I'd have to look up the owners manual for your head unit but I'm guessing what you are referring to as "cutoffs" are crossover settings. The 400 is likely a high-pass setting and is appropriate for a midrange speaker as it will prevent the majority of bass frequencies from getting to the speaker. What are you using for the rest of the system?
Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic