the12volt.com spacer
icon

Custom High Risk Remote Start, 1996 Honda Accord, Manual Transmission

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ckact 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2019 at 9:13 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote ckact
Well looks like facebook and instagram has nearly killed this place as well.
I hope there will be an archaic revval and webforums become the dominant URL again.
So y'all might remember me from the taser door handle (still haven't finished that project)
I have two of the same cars, twinsies, 1996 honda accord coupes, AKA CD7's
Old taser doors is down due to a water pump, and her crusty sister is getting some attention, old viper remote start.
The high risk factor is she's a manual, But I'm a never in gear kind of person, so its ok, this car will never, ever be parked on a hillside where it needs gear held in addition to ebrake.
It has no physical ignition or lock cylinder, the brainbox will be under the hood inside of a container, the ACC wires and door lock wires will backfeed into the cabin and will be completely secured under the hood.
Now, without using a toggle switch in place of the ignition and brake shutdown switch, how can I bypass the 12~60 minute runtime of the remote start? I want for the only way the engine is cut is by a second successive push of the remote start buton on the fob, currently hooked up, it times out at 12 minutes, so I would only be able to drive it for 12 minutes before I'd have to hit the button again; unacceptable!
Only thing I can think of is with a relay between IGN#1 and RUNLIGHTS, forcing me to drive with running lights on all time, turn off lights, engine dies.
I am entertaining a race panel | (-) ign (-) run (-) fuel | but thats a starting point for anyone that gains access to the cabin, a clever thief will be able to trace the wires and at least do some damage to critical systems.
Ideally at a glance there should be no discernible way to get the thing started without access to the engine bay or a spare keyfob.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 25, 2019 at 5:27 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
Only input I have is: They do make remote start units that are manual transmission safe. There is a procedure you have to complete upon exit of vehicle. If nothing triggers the alarm between exit and remote start sequence, it will safely start. Get one of those. They all say they never leave it in gear, till the morning you start your 528I only to walk outside to tracks in the dew leading into the woods and to an oak tree. Then you ask yourself how could that have happened? Then you remember your Brother borrowed your car.   There are 5 more stories, but that was the only humorous one.
iskidoo 
Silver - Posts: 1,040
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2019 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote iskidoo
They all left it in gear. 🙄
https://youtu.be/VC-BGwt3wv8
Steve G
ckact 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2019 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote ckact
Thank you, this car will hardly ever have its engine while unoccupied, think track day car, occasionaly need to run engine for troubleshooting.
The idea is to keyless entry access the cabin, touch engine start key as you sit down, if the shifter would be in a gear the driver would be in position to depress the clutch immediately.
How do I override the timeout shut down?
Only other thing I can think of is to get an RFID circuit and embed the unit in the keyfob, that way leaving the proximity of the RFID receiver would act as ignition OFF.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 31, 2019 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
For legal reasons, we can not help you with that.
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 641
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2019 at 5:01 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
If I understand correctly, this car does not have an ignition or PTS switch. You want to use a R/S unit to energize and run the car. Not necessarily remote start it.
I'd use a relay array. Look in the relay section on this site. There is a 10-relay remote start array that could be adapted to do what you need. I can also think of other ways using relay latches and ghost switch techniques. The fly in the ointment is the starter. How about use the clutch safety switch for the starter? When the clutch gets to the floor, the starter engages. You'd need a latch that allows the starter to only work on the first pedal depress after "key on", then disconnect the starter or the starter would engage every time you use the clutch.
I can think of numerous ways to do this with relay-relay logic. Use your imagination.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic