the12volt.com spacer
icon

How to Get a Soft Chirp When Using RKE?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
atikovi 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2019 at 10:56 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote atikovi
I'm adding remote keyless entry to a '95 Mercedes. Instead of connecting to the horn to get a harsh beep after hitting the button, I'd rather have a soft chirp or click like newer cars do. Do they use a separate speaker for that? Is there an aftermarket product that is similar I could use?
eguru 
Copper - Posts: 340
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2019 at 7:47 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote eguru
You can reduce the on time of the horn by connecting a capacitor in series with the alarm's output wire.
atikovi 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2019 at 8:06 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote atikovi
Yes but it's still the harsh sound of the horn. Neighbour has a newer BMW that makes a soft click sound when the remote is used. That would be ideal.
eguru 
Copper - Posts: 340
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2019 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote eguru
https://www.digikey.ca/en/pdf/m/mallory-sonalert-products/mallory-panel-alarms-multi-tone-models
shaunie61 
Copper - Posts: 47
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2019 at 2:00 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote shaunie61
Is there a wiring diagram available for adding a capacitor in series to the alarm output wire,especially if the alarm/rke didn't have a dedicated wire for this?
And does increasing or decreasing the capacitor size give a longer or shorter sound??
Thanks,Shaun
Shaun
mgoetz74 
Silver - Posts: 424
Silver spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 13, 2019 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mgoetz74
water proof piezo siren, run 20-25 bucks on the web and just give you that beep noise (kinda like a toyota) instead of the awful horn sound
33 years as a installer now just a retired old guy. Favorite thing to install/topic are remote starts/car alarms. Stop using test lights!!!
shaunie61 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2019 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote shaunie61
Thanks,mgoetz74.
That would be better,but I want to shorten the sounder as there isn't an output for an audio alert,so I wanted to use a flasher output or similar,with a capacitor.Just not sure what size capacitor to use...
Shaun
atikovi 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2019 at 3:54 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote atikovi
Short youtube video(not mine) from a BMW of the sound I want: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl42Rjngxgk
shaunie61 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2019 at 12:22 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote shaunie61
unfortunately I cant get it to play.....
Actually, I just did and it sounded like a high pitch electronic beep and nothing like a click;(to me)
Shaun
atikovi 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2019 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote atikovi
Click or beep, still much better than the honk of many remotes.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic