the12volt.com spacer
icon

Controlling Daytime Running Lights

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
raidenelite 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2019 at 3:46 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote raidenelite
Hello guys, i need some help to control a pair of classic drl i installed in my car headlights and a pair of angel eyes in the fog lights (for who doesn't know they are basically led strips).
I need the lights to turn on when door open/close but turn off after 30sec delay, then to stay on if car accessory are on (and start timer again when off) and respectively turn off drl or angel eyes if headlight or foglights are on.
For the delay i have "kkmoon delay timer" which does exactly what i need, starting a timer when there is no trigger.
I made this basic schematic of how i expect to wire everything but need some advice.
Controlling Daytime Running Lights -- posted image.
As you can see the leds positive wires are connected directly on the car battery with a 10A fuse so i want to control the negative wire also because i brought the wires in the car where i have constant 12V (red wire) from the car stereo so i don't want to put the load on that, the ground is also from the car stereo but i don't think that's a problem.
Also i need help with feeding the 3 signals in the delay timer as i expect doors could lock/unlock while ACC are on and don't want to cause a short circuit or backfeed.
Could you help me with that and telling if the wiring is correct? Thank you!
eguru 
Copper - Posts: 340
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2019 at 8:49 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote eguru
Replace Relay1, Relay2, Relay3 with diodes (1N4002/3/4/5/6/7). Connect the 3 cathodes to 86 on your time delay relay. Connect the anodes to ACC, Lock, Unlock.
raidenelite 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2019 at 2:49 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote raidenelite
Do you think that those relay are useless?
Also is any 1A diode ok or do i need that specific part number? I'm going to buy it locally and not sure i'll find the exact same
Thanks!
eguru 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2019 at 6:39 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote eguru
The relays are not useless, but add non-necessary wiring complexity, current spikes, and audible noise.
If you are going to use the relays for the lock/unlock be sure to install suppression diodes (schottky diodes (like 1N6819) are preferred over plain jane rectifiers) across the relay coils.
Pretty much any 1A/100V (or greater voltage rating) rectifier will do the job of replacing the relay logic.
raidenelite 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2019 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote raidenelite
I understand, i will go only with the diodes then!
And connecting all three cathodes on the wire to the time delay relay won't cause a short circuit when the pulse from doors lock/unlock come and the car accessory is on, right?
eguru 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2019 at 12:51 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote eguru
The diodes prevent back-feeding.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic