the12volt.com spacer
icon

How to Wire Relay for Trunk Release?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rdl212 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2020 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rdl212
Hello, kind of a newbie to relay use and was wondering if someone could help me out with a correct wiring diagram to utilize a relay to provide a positive 12v pulse to the trunk solenoid to pop it? I have a dpdt relay, a momentary switch to press inside the car to activate, and also want to connect to my car alarms - momentary aux trigger as well. Really appreciate the help. Thanks
wirewise 
Moderator - Posts: 489
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 24, 2020 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote wirewise
https://www.the12volt.com/relays/relaydiagram8.html
~wirewise~ Verify all wiring with your meter before making any connections!
rdl212 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2020 at 8:17 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rdl212
Thanks for that link, but unfortunately I’m too much of a newb to even know which I should be looking at. I did find this diagram on 12v - would this be correct? In addition, the momentary switch I have is only good for 5 amps - does that make a difference? Thanks again.
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/uploads/maxima_trunk_relay.jpgHow to Wire Relay for Trunk Release? -- posted image.
wirewise 
Moderator - Posts: 489
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 24, 2020 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote wirewise
No, that provides a negative output. You said you needed a 12V+ output.
~wirewise~ Verify all wiring with your meter before making any connections!
rdl212 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2020 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rdl212
Thank you. So do I just need to rearrange which pins the+12 v are hooked to?
rdl212 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2020 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rdl212
Ok, I think I am getting closer, but now I am just wondering how to wire in the momentary switch?
How to Wire Relay for Trunk Release? -- posted image.
lectricguy 
Copper - Posts: 359
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2020 at 7:15 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lectricguy
Reverse 30 and 87, momentary switch connects to 87.
Wire as follows:
Fused +12V Constant: Relay pins 86 & 87
Momentary switch: Relay pin 87A
+12V Output to Trunk Solenoid: Relay pin 30
Car alarm trunk (-) output: Relay pin 85
For long term alarm trunk output reliability, it is also recommended to add a general purpose diode (such as 1N4001) across Relay pins 86 and 85, diode band toward Relay pin 86.
The series diode in your original diagram is acceptable as well as an alternative for this purpose, band toward the alarm output.
Lectric Guy
rdl212 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2020 at 9:04 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rdl212
Excellent, thanks so much that helps a lot. One last clarification - so for the momentary switch I would have 12v to one side of the momentary and the other side to pin 87a?
lectricguy 
Copper - Posts: 359
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2020 at 9:34 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lectricguy
Yes, that is correct.
Cheers!
Lectric Guy
rdl212 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2020 at 10:18 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rdl212
Thanks so much
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic