the12volt.com spacer
icon

Stereo Has Power, No Sound, 2004 Honda Civic

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dj smith 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2020 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dj smith
I have a 2004 Civic ex sedan the stereo gets power no sound I connected up an aftermarket stereo still the same problem. I have been hearing there is a factory installed amp in this car, is this true, if so where is it located
Donald Smith
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 07, 2020 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
Directechs makes no mention of an amplifier in an 04, they do show it under the center dash in the 06.
dj smith 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2020 at 9:06 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dj smith
Thank you for your response looks like I have a wiring issue tiem to solve this issue. Is there anywhere I should look for the possible culprit?
Donald Smith
i am an idiot 
Posted: December 08, 2020 at 11:08 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
Did you purchase the wiring harness for the vehicle? #1 culprit would be a shorted speaker or a grounded speaker wire. Do you have or have access to a multimeter?
dj smith 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2020 at 11:15 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dj smith
I have a multimeter its the harness that the car came with from the factory ill start searching time to figure out where to start
Donald Smith
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Posted: December 08, 2020 at 1:35 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
He's asking if you used one of these to adapt the factory harness to the new stereo:
http://metraonline.com/part/70-1721
If not, your local shop (Best Buy, Car Toys, etc.) should carry it or an equivalent. Alternatively you could order online- check Amazon, eBay, etc. It makes installation much simpler.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
dj smith 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2020 at 1:45 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dj smith
I have the harness for the aftermarket stereo still same problem power no sound I guess im gonna have to trace wires
Donald Smith
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Posted: December 08, 2020 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
If you unplug the harness from the stereo, try testing for resistance across the speaker leads.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
i am an idiot 
Posted: December 08, 2020 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
Still not clear as to if there is a harness or not. If there is a harness, disconnect all speaker wires. Using your meter set to Ohms or to 200 ohms check resistance across the 4 speaker pairs. Should not read below 3 ohms on any of them. Then ground one lead of the meter and check to each of the 8 speaker wires. None of them should give you a reading. If one or both wires of one pair show some kind of reading, reconnect the other 6 wires, leaving that pair disconnected, does it play?
dj smith 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2020 at 5:47 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dj smith
I do have the harness for my aftermarket stereo Ihave that power no sound with both the factory stereo and the aftermarket one. I dont have the time to remove the door panels to check the fromt speakers the car is my daily driver
Donald Smith
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic