the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Bench Prep Pays Off - FYI

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2020 at 7:09 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
Well yesterday as I was bench prepping another R/S system, as I plugged in the DBI D2D harness it felt a bit "off" but it seemed to be secure so I continued. During final inspection, I gave that connection a good look and was glad I did. Photo below :
Bench Prep Pays Off - FYI -- posted image.
One of the data pins was backed out a bit. While it might have programmed OK and passed post install testing because it was making a pressure contact with the R/S's pin, it could fail or worse yet cause intermittent problems down the road. I swapped out that harness and trashed the bad one. Looks like the pin was not oriented correctly to latch in the connector hole.
Bottom line, Bench Prep pays off! I might not have felt or seen this issue if done under the dash.
Soldering is fun!
iskidoo 
Silver - Posts: 1,040
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2020 at 8:09 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote iskidoo
Good catch. It sucks trying to troubleshoot issues like that later.
Steve G
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2020 at 9:20 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
Exactly, Steve! I think we have all seen similar issues. Bad crimps on a relay terminal spade connector, lose in-line fuse holder terminals, etc. You could spend hours re-flashing and re-programming and even swapping the module. The wiring and harness connectors are pretty far down on the suspect list.
All prepped, programmed, tested and ready to go for Monday...
Bench Prep Pays Off - FYI -- posted image.
Soldering is fun!
iskidoo 
Silver - Posts: 1,040
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2020 at 9:31 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote iskidoo
Nice bench prep work. I like how you hot glue the bypass to the main unit. I remember having an issue with a brand new remote start install because 2 of the main harness wires were swapped positions in the connector. I was pretty annoyed and only saw it one time but it was enough to make me verify harnesses now for proper wire order each time I start a new install.
Steve G

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic