the12volt.com spacer
icon

2001 Jeep Cherokee, Pioneer Avic W8600NEX

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
firefighter1466 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2021 at 9:07 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote firefighter1466
Hey guys - first off I have to give a huge shout out to kreg357 over in the Car Alarm/Remote start section here. Before coming here, I was completely lost, and now my remote start and alarm is working flawlessly.
Anyways - I have been piecing together an audio system over the last few days, and here's where I'm at:
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ
1) 2x Kicker Speakers 6.5" mounted in each front door - new 16ga insulated speaker wire run through door, into kick panels, routed under kick trim to the underside of the rear bench seat ready to connect to amp.
2) 2x Kicker Speakers 6.5" mounted in the headliner in original factory locations - new 16ga insulated speaker wire ran above headliner, down C-Column and under bench seat in rear ready to connect to amp.
3) 8" JL Audio Subwoofer mounted in "Select Increments XJ Pod" in rear of Jeep, 12ga insulated speaker wire ran to rear bench seat ready to connect to amp.
4) Amp power wire connected to battery, to the fuse block, then through the driver side grommet, down the driver side kick plate to the rear bench seat ready for connection to amp.
5) 4-Channel RCA patch cables, Turn on Wire, 2-Channel RCA patch cables ran from rear bench seat ready to connect to amp routed along the passenger side kick trim, up into Radio mounting location.
6) SiriusXM magnetic mount antenna mounted to rear roof, cable routed into rear hatch, into passenger side upper trim, down into kick panel and up into the Radio mounting location.
This is where I'm at now and where my next intended steps are:
1) Find suitable amp ground location (probably seat bolt after removing all paint around body near bolt)
2) Connect all wiring to amp and turn levels all the way down
3) Begin installing Navigation receiver
It is with Step 3 that I need assistance. Here is the link to digital version of the manual and the installation instructions begin on PDF page 187.
Pioneer AVIC-W8600NEX
I'm trying to figure out what connections I need for this if I want to use all of the Pioneer's navigation, car play, video output, basically every feature except the back-up camera which I haven't figured out how I want to route, and will install later. I also need help figuring out whether I need to know what wires are already located in the radio unit, and where any other wires are. I don't see any of the specific wires that are listed in this installation manual noted in the 2000 or 2001 Jeep Cherokee wiring diagrams.
I'm going to post what I've gathered so far and you let me know if you believe I'm correct, make adjustments where needed or ask any additional questions. Any references to "InstallBay" in my commentary are for the 2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ Audio (1 year older, but similar I assume?) linked here.
Power Cord
(1) Yellow (to terminal supplied with power regardless of ignition switch position) - I would assume this should go to the Pink/Yellow 12V Constant as noted on InstallBay.
(2) Red (to electric terminal controlled by ignition switch (12V DC) ON/OFF) - Red/White Switched 12V as noted on InstallBay?
(3) Orange/White (to lightning switch terminal) - I have no earthly idea what this is, what it's used for, and where or if it should be connected.
(4) Black (Ground) (to vehicle (metal) body) - Is there an existing ground wire in the harness or do I need to route this down and ground it in the same place as my remote start/alarm wiring?
(5) Violet/White (This is connected so that this product can detect whether the vehicle is moving forwards or backwards. Connect the violet/white lead to the lead whose voltage changes when the shift lever is put in reverse. Unless connected, the sensor may not detect your vehicle traveling forward/backward properly, and thus the position of your vehicle detected by the sensor may be misaligned from the actual position. When you use a rear view camera, please make sure to connect this lead. Otherwise you cannot switch to the rear view camera picture.) - I have no idea where this wire is or where to find it based on anything I've found here or any google searches.
(6) Pink (Car Speed Input Signal) (Speed detection circuit) - Where do I find this? This vehicle is 20 years old, would this be in the tach?
(7) Blue/White (connect to the system control terminal of the power amp (max. 300 mA 12 V DC) - Would this be the blue "turn on cable" that I ran from the amp down the passenger side kick trim above?
(8) Light Green (Used to detect the ON/OFF status of the parking brake. This lead must be connected to the power supply side of the parking brake switch.) - Would this be physically located near the emergency brake or somewhere else? There's a diagram image that shows multiple connections required for this.
I think the majority of the other connections are easy enough for me to figure out - but these few have me stumped.
Thanks in advance!!
Jon
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 08, 2021 at 4:01 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
firefighter1466 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2021 at 6:38 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote firefighter1466
I have this. Came with my order. Does this help with all of those non standard features though?
Jon
firefighter1466 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2021 at 1:51 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote firefighter1466
Anyone?? Is the audio section of this forum pretty dead or something? I had a ton of responses on my alarm post.
Jon
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,364
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2021 at 7:18 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote Ween
You have the 70-1817 piece? Yellow connects to yellow, Battery power. Red to red, Accessory power. Orange to Orange/white, Illumination power...whichever wire on the metra harness that matches up to the black/yellow on the vehicle side. That's it for the connections you'll use on the 70-1817. Black will connnect to chassis ground. There was probably a strap attached to the back side of the stock radio. Connect to that, or a nice shiny piece of bare metal like where the alarm ground is.
Violet/white to Brown/Light green (possibly in kick panel area), this is the reverse/backup lights power wire. Pink to White/Orange (Underhood at PCM, Should be the middle connector, pin 27). this is the Vehicle speed signal. Blue/white to amplifier turn on lead...I think you had this one. Light green to parking brake switch wire (definitely at switch, may be in left kickpanel.
firefighter1466 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2021 at 10:13 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote firefighter1466
Just now getting a chance to work on this project again. Following your steps above, would the parking brake switch be the one in the attached image that physically connects to the parking brake as shown? If so, is there a better place to tap into it, or would piggy backing off right there be easiest?
2001 Jeep Cherokee, Pioneer Avic W8600NEX -- posted image.
Jon
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 03, 2021 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
That is the parking brake wire.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic