icon

2001 Jeep Cherokee, Viper 5806V

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
firefighter1466 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2021 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  
So - as a newbie to wiring remote starts, it looks like I chose the most feature rich remote start to put on the featureless 01 Jeep Cherokee XJ. Hoping I can gain some insight here, as it looks like there's a ton of members on here who are highly skilled based on several of the posts I've read through over the last few days.
I'm really trying to understand Viper's diagrams and instructions and compare it to the few simple things that a Jeep Cherokee XJ has the capability of accepting. I feel there's a lot here I cannot use, but I want to use it to the max and not miss anything.
So I'll post what I have in the instructions, and what I've understood it should be matched up to based on the diagram/notes posted here in the notes. Anything in brackets would be my questions or comments on what I believe to be correct.
Main Harness, 6-pin connector
Red (+) 12VDC Constant Input - Should be: Constant +12 Volts: RED OR PINK/BLACK IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS?
Black (-) Chassis Ground - I don't see a ground in the harness, (again I'm a noob), I would assume I just ground it to the frame?
Brown (+) Siren Output - I would imagine this connects to the Siren that was included, "Directed 514L Soft-Chirp Siren", though I'm assuming it's either the red wire and the black would be grounded? There are only two wires coming out of this thing
White/Brown Parking Light Isolation Wire - #87A N/C of onboard relay - I don't see anything on the diagram about an isolation wire
White Parking Light Output - #30 Common of onboard relay - Parking Lights: BLACK / YELLOW AT HEADLIGHT SWITCH?
Orange (-) 500mA GWA (Ground When Armed Output) - Again.. I'm confused
Door Lock, 3-pin connector
Blue (-) 500mA Unlock Output - Power Unlock: PINK/VIOLET (+) LOCATED IN DRIVER'S KICK PANEL *
EMPTY
Green (-) 500mA Lock Output - Power Lock: ORANGE / VIOLET (+) LOCATED IN DRIVER'S KICK PANEL *
Auxiliary/Shutdown/Trigger Harness, 24-pin connector
Pink/White (-) 200mA Ignition 2 - Flex Relay Output - Ignition #2: BLACK/ ORANGE IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS??
Blue/White (-) 200mA 2nd Status/Rear Defogger Output - Unused?
Red/White (-) 200mA Trunk Release Output - Trunk Release: PINK/BLACK (+) (LIFTGATE UNLOCK)??
Black/Yellow (-) 200mA Dome Light Output - Dome Lights/Superv: YELLOW (-) AT ANY PIN SWITCH
Dark Blue (-) 200mA Status Output - Unused?
White/Black (-) 200mA Aux 3 Output - Unused?
White/Violet (-) 200mA Aux 1 Output - Unused?
Orange/Black (-) 200mA Aux 4 Output - Unused?
Gray (-) Hood Pin Input (N/C or N/O) - Unused?
Blue (-) Trunk Pin/Instant Trigger Input (N/C or N/O) - Unused?
White/Blue Activation Input - Unused?
Violet/White* Tachometer Input - Tach Signal: GRAY AT COIL ON PASSENGER SIDE OF ENGINE (* Notes required for manual transmission - is there any reason to mess with this wire if it's an automatic?)
Black/White** (-) Parking/E-Brake Input - I would imagine this is wired directly to the parking brake somehow, any notes on this?
Green/Black (-) 200mA Factory Alarm Disarm Output - OEM Alarm Disarm: VIOLET / YELLOW (-) DRIVER'S KICK PANEL
Green* (-) Door Input - Also labeled as manual transmission requirement - do I need?
Brown/Black (-) 200mA Horn Honk Output - OEM Horn: BLACK/ RED (-) STEERING COLUMN HARNESS??
Pink (-) 200mA Ignition 1 Output - ?
Violet* (+) Door Input - Again, manual transmission? Do I need this?
Violet/Black (-) 200mA Aux 2 Output - ?
Brown (+) Brake Shutdown Input - ?
Violet/Yellow (-) 200mA Starter Output - ?
Gray/Black (-) Diesel Wait To Start Input - Easy to guess that this one isn't applicable
Orange (-) 200mA Accessory Output - ?
Green/White (-) 200mA Factory Alarm Arm Output - OEM Alarm Arm: ARMS WHEN DOORS ARE LOCKED WITH DR. DOOR OPEN
Remote Start, 10-pin heavy gauge connector
No Connection
Red/Black (+) Fused 12V Accessory/Starter Input - Accessory: BLACK/ WHITE IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS??
Pink/Black (+) Flex Relay Input #87A N/C* key side of flex relay (if required) - Unused?
Pink/White (+) Ignition 2 / - #30 Common of flex relay - Ignition #2: BLACK/ ORANGE IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS??
Red (+) Fused 12V Ignition 1 Input - Ignition +12 Volts: D BLUE IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS??
Green (+) Starter Input (Key side of the failsafe starter disable) - Not sure what it means by failsafe starter disable
Violet (+) Starter Output (Car side of the failsafe starter disable) - Same as above
Orange (+) Accessory Output - Not sure if this should be the black/white as listed above, I only found one accessory noted. Which would be input/output?
Red/White (+) Fused 12V Input, Ignition 2 - #87 N/O* - Flex Relay Input - Ignition #2 was used above, now I'm getting more and more confused
Pink (+) Ignition 1 Input/Output - Ignition 1 was used above as well.. this is harder than it looks
Sorry - you guys probably aren't used to getting someone as much of a noob as me. I'm trying to learn but I think I'm in way over my head..
Jon
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2021 at 9:59 AM / IP Logged  
It's good that you are making an effort to learn from this install. As you are finding out there is a big learning curve here. You are also realizing that as a DIYer your options for tech support from the A/S manufacturer is about nil.
Yes indeed, the system you have chosen is feature rich. It was made to handle many situations and vehicles. Your basic Jeep won't need much of the Vipers available features. But it is a good, solid unit that can handle all of your Jeeps requirements.
The Install Guide that come with your system is a very simplified 2 page document intended for a Viper trained dealer. To get you started with the Viper system, review this older guide from a similar Viper system. While it is out of date, it does contain a lot of the info missing from the current install guides with a better description of each wires needs and function. You will notice that many of the Wire Names, Wire Colors and Wire functions have remained the same over the years. https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/file.asp?ID=710
A few questions... What color key head do you have? A black head means no Transponder Immobilizer system and a Gray head indicates a Transponder Immobilizer system and the need for a bypass module. Do you have power door locks?
The next step is to locate several wire listing guides for your vehicle. These will be an aid in locating the necessary wires. This site has some info as listed below :
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/alarmdetail/1214.html
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=1115
Here is the info from Bulldog Security : http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/bdnew/vehiclewiringdiagrams.aspx
You can use this info to make up a wire chart for your vehicle and the needed Viper connections. The main thing to understand is the (-) and (+) notation in the wire lists and the in the Viper wire diagram. We can use the Power Lock wires as an example. In the available wire lists, it indicates that the power locks need a (-) signal but you show a (+) in your chart. With the 5806V diagram, it shows a (-) lock output. You should use a DMM to verify that the Jeep has a Type B (-) lock system, update your chart and understand that a direct connect connection from the Vipers (-) Lock wires to the Jeeps (-) lock wires is all that is required.
This will get you going. You can update your chart and ask questions as you go along. Read up on the Vipers Programming Options, as some will need to be changed to support your Jeep.
Soldering is fun!
firefighter1466 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2021 at 10:04 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the quick response! I will start reviewing all of this information you provided. I just finished tearing out the dash to replace the heater core, and before putting all the physical covers back up I wanted to take this time to install the remote start with everything out in the open.
To answer your questions: I have a black key. I am the 2nd owner of this Jeep so I'm not sure if it's the ORIGINAL key or a replacement, but in either instance it's black. I really need to fix the steering column, but right now I can crank it and pull the key out lock the doors and walk away and it will remain cranked and even allow someone to drive it if I unlock it without the key nearby. So I would imagine there is no Immobilizer system installed (gray key). I DO have power locks.
Also - I tried opening "https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/file.asp?ID=710", but it does not work, it takes me to the downloads page where I would need to find one to download.
EDIT: I am trying to understand the - and + as you mentioned, but something just isn't clicking. While I was reviewing the 2001 information on your 2nd link (the one that I had already been reviewing) it shows (+) next to lock and unlock, while the 2000 Jeep Cherokee post shows (-) for the unlock and lock. I'm not sure what to make of this.
Jon
kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2021 at 10:33 AM / IP Logged  
The Viper link to the older install guide is for a Viper 5701 system, so search on that in the Downloads section. The wire descriptions are more detailed.
Yes, Black key means no immobilizer system and no need for a bypass module. Any plain hardware store key will work in your Jeep. This will save you some time and money.
First "gotcha" moment is finding discrepancies in the wire guides. It happens all the time. That's why using a Digital Multi Meter and verifying each vehicle wire is so important.   I'm pretty sure that Jeep has Type B (-) locks. Another gotcha is that to test these lock wires in your Jeep, the doors must be closed. Additionally, the Vipers (-) 500mA lock output may not be strong enough to actuate the lock solenoids so external relays might be required. And finally, to test for (-) signals using a DMM, set the DMM to 20VDC, connect the Red test lead to +12V constant and the Black Test lead to the suspect wire. The DMM will show a (+)12V pulse with a lock signal.
Soldering is fun!
firefighter1466 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2021 at 11:24 AM / IP Logged  
So any of these that I need to test for a (-) if I get a positive 12v it means its a (-) ?
Jon
kreg357 
Posted: January 31, 2021 at 11:48 AM / IP Logged  
firefighter1466 wrote:
So any of these that I need to test for a (-) if I get a positive 12v it means its a (-) ?
Yes, kinda inverse logic but the only way to test for a (-) signal. Basically the DMM Red lead is on the battery positive terminal and when the Black lead gets a chassis ground present, the DMM's circuit is completed and the DMM shows the battery voltage. You are doing the same thing in reverse for (+) signals. In that vehicle the Parking Lights are listed as a (+) signal. You set the DMM to 20VDC, connect the Black test lead to chassis ground and the Red test lead to the BLACK/YELLOW suspect wire. The DMM shows 0V with the Parking Lights off. When you turn the Parking Lights ON, the BLACK/YELLOW wire goes to +12V, the DMM Red lead sees this +12V and the DMM circuit is complete and the DMM reads +12V. This will be the same for the Jeeps ignition wires.
Soldering is fun!
firefighter1466 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2021 at 11:56 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks kreg357,
I guess I'm still overwhelmed by the sheer number of wires that the Viper system has available. Is there an easy way to determine what all needs to be hooked up for this model Jeep so that I can kind of cross the others out and not worry about them?
Jon
kreg357 
Posted: January 31, 2021 at 12:33 PM / IP Logged  
A basic R/S w/Keyless and alarm will need...
These are the Jeep wires you need :
12 VOLT CONSTANT     PINK/BLACK (+) and RED (+)     IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS     
STARTER     YELLOW (+)     IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS          
IGNITION 1     DARK BLUE (+)     IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS     
IGNITION 2     BLACK/ORANGE (+)     IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS     
ACCESSORY/HEATER BLOWER 1     BLACK/WHITE (+)     IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS     
PARKING LIGHTS ( + )     BLACK/YELLOW (+)     @ HEADLIGHT SWITCH     
POWER LOCK     ORANGE/PURPLE (TYPE B)      IN DRIVERS KICK PANEL     
POWER UNLOCK     PINK/PURPLE (TYPE B)      IN DRIVERS KICK PANEL     
DOOR TRIGGER     YELLOW (-)     IN DRIVERS KICK PANEL or      HEADLIGHT SWITCH
TACH     GRAY     @ PCM, BLACK Plug
BRAKE     WHITE/TAN (+)     @ SWITCH ABOVE BRAKE PEDAL
Rear Defrost   DARK BLUE/WHITE (-)   AT DEFOGGER SWITCH
On the Viper side, you need :
Main Harness, 6-pin connector
Red (+) 12VDC Constant Input - Should be: Constant +12 Volts: RED OR PINK/BLACK IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
Black (-) Chassis Ground - I would just ground it to clean, paint and rust free frame
Brown (+) Siren Output - I would imagine this connects to the Siren that was included, "Directed 514L Soft-Chirp Siren", red wire. Black siren wire to chassis ground.
White/Brown Parking Light Isolation Wire - not used
White Parking Light Output - #30 Common of onboard relay - Parking Lights: BLACK / YELLOW AT HEADLIGHT SWITCH. Set Viper fuse jumper to (+)
Orange (-) 500mA GWA (Ground When Armed Output) - not used
Door Lock, 3-pin connector
Blue (-) 500mA Unlock Output - Power Unlock: PINK/VIOLET (-) LOCATED IN DRIVER'S KICK PANEL
EMPTY
Green (-) 500mA Lock Output - Power Lock: ORANGE / VIOLET (-) LOCATED IN DRIVER'S KICK PANEL
Auxiliary/Shutdown/Trigger Harness, 24-pin connector
Pink/White (-) 200mA Ignition 2 - Flex Relay Output - Ignition #2: not used
Blue/White (-) 200mA 2nd Status/Rear Defogger Output - could use for rear defrost - optional
Red/White (-) 200mA Trunk Release Output - Trunk Release: PINK/BLACK (+) (LIFTGATE UNLOCK)?? not sure, unlocks with doors?
Black/Yellow (-) 200mA Dome Light Output - Dome Lights/Superv: YELLOW (-) AT ANY PIN SWITCH
Dark Blue (-) 200mA Status Output - Unused
White/Black (-) 200mA Aux 3 Output - Unused
White/Violet (-) 200mA Aux 1 Output - Unused
Orange/Black (-) 200mA Aux 4 Output - Unused
Gray (-) Hood Pin Input (N/C or N/O) - connect to kit supplied hood pin switch you installed
Blue (-) Trunk Pin/Instant Trigger Input (N/C or N/O) - Unused
White/Blue Activation Input - Unused
Violet/White* Tachometer Input - Tach Signal: GRAY AT COIL ON PASSENGER SIDE OF ENGINE *
Black/White** (-) Parking/E-Brake Input - not needed for auto trans - connect to chassis ground
Green/Black (-) 200mA Factory Alarm Disarm Output - OEM Alarm Disarm: VIOLET / YELLOW (-) DRIVER'S KICK PANEL does your Jeep have the factory alarm?
Green* (-) Door Input - YELLOW (-) IN DRIVERS KICK PANE - do I need? Yes, for Viper alarm functions
Brown/Black (-) 200mA Horn Honk Output - OEM Horn: BLACK/ RED (-) STEERING COLUMN HARNESS - optional - you have siren
Pink (-) 200mA Ignition 1 Output - not used
Violet* (+) Door Input - Do I need this? no, using (-) Door trigger
Violet/Black (-) 200mA Aux 2 Output - not used
Brown (+) Brake Shutdown Input - WHITE/TAN (+)     @ SWITCH ABOVE BRAKE PEDAL
Violet/Yellow (-) 200mA Starter Output - not used
Gray/Black (-) Diesel Wait To Start Input - Easy to guess that this one isn't applicable
Orange (-) 200mA Accessory Output - not used
Green/White (-) 200mA Factory Alarm Arm Output - OEM Alarm Arm: ARMS WHEN DOORS ARE LOCKED WITH DR. DOOR OPEN does your Jeep have the factory alarm?
Remote Start, 10-pin heavy gauge connector
No Connection
Red/Black (+) Fused 12V Accessory/Starter Input - RED (+)     IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
Pink/Black (+) Flex Relay Input #87A N/C* key side of flex relay (if required) - Unused
Pink/White (+) Ignition 2 / - #30 Common of flex relay - Ignition #2: BLACK/ ORANGE IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
Red (+) Fused 12V Ignition 1 Input - Ignition +12 Volts: PINK/BLACK (+)      IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
Green (+) Starter Input (KEY SIDE of the failsafe starter disable) - cut YELLOW (+)     IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS - key side
Violet (+) Starter Output (CAR SIDE of the failsafe starter disable) - cut YELLOW (+)     IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS - vehicle side
Orange (+) Accessory Output - BLACK/WHITE (+)     IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
Red/White (+) Fused 12V Input, Ignition 2 - #87 N/O* - Flex Relay Input - RED (+)     IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
Pink (+) Ignition 1 Input/Output - Ignition 1 DARK BLUE (+)     IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
Soldering is fun!
firefighter1466 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2021 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  
Just to follow up on a few of your questions for me above and add a few of my own, as I'm creating a chart like you advised based on the answers you gave me:
1) Violet/White* Tachometer Input - Tach Signal: GRAY AT COIL ON PASSENGER SIDE OF ENGINE *
- Is this required? It notates on the Viper Remote Start that it is required for Manual Transmission Vehicles. Mine is automatic. What benefits would I gain from this?
2) Gray (-) Hood Pin Input (N/C or N/O) - connect to kit supplied hood pin switch you installed
- Is this required? I really didn't want to go through the hassle of drilling into the frame of the Jeep under the hood somewhere to install a hood pin kit. I was planning to forego this unless there's a reason it is required or if there is some amazing benefit to it.
3) Green/Black (-) 200mA Factory Alarm Disarm Output - OEM Alarm Disarm: VIOLET / YELLOW (-) DRIVER'S KICK PANEL does your Jeep have the factory alarm?
- I do not believe my Jeep has the factory alarm. I don't know exactly where to look for it at, and I've tried setting it off, by using the key fob to lock the door and then manually flipping the lock from inside the door and opening the door. This seems to set off the alarm on other vehicles. Not sure how to test with this vehicle.
4) Green/White (-) 200mA Factory Alarm Arm Output - OEM Alarm Arm: ARMS WHEN DOORS ARE LOCKED WITH DR. DOOR OPEN does your Jeep have the factory alarm?
- Same as above - not sure if my Jeep has the factory alarm. If it does not, how does that affect these being used. I would imagine without the alarm they wouldn't be connected to anything?
5) Green (+) Starter Input (KEY SIDE of the failsafe starter disable) - cut YELLOW (+)     IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS - key side
Violet (+) Starter Output (CAR SIDE of the failsafe starter disable) - cut YELLOW (+)     IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS - vehicle side
- What do you mean by cut YELLOW (+) ??
6) White Parking Light Output - #30 Common of onboard relay - Parking Lights: BLACK / YELLOW AT HEADLIGHT SWITCH. Set Viper fuse jumper to (+)
- What do you mean by "Set Viper fuse jumper to (+)"?
Thanks again - I'm getting there slowly but surely I hope.
EDIT: Adding in that my key fob has a "Panic" button coupled with the lock/unlock buttons. When pressing this the horn does start honking. Is that the same thing as the factory alarm, or implemented the same way?
Jon
kreg357 
Posted: January 31, 2021 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  
1) Violet/White* Tachometer Input - Tach Signal: GRAY AT COIL ON PASSENGER SIDE OF ENGINE *
- Is this required? It notates on the Viper Remote Start that it is required for Manual Transmission Vehicles. Mine is automatic. What benefits would I gain from this?
You are correct in that Tach Mode is required for a Manual Transmission install. While it's mandatory for a MT install, it can still be used for any install. Virtual Tach is the Default. However, most installers will run in Tach Mode because it provides more reliable engine starts, especially in cold environments. So it's your choice, one less wire or more reliable operation.
2) Gray (-) Hood Pin Input (N/C or N/O) - connect to kit supplied hood pin switch you installed
- Is this required? I really didn't want to go through the hassle of drilling into the frame of the Jeep under the hood somewhere to install a hood pin kit. I was planning to forego this unless there's a reason it is required or if there is some amazing benefit to it.
A few thoughts on this. First and foremost is safety. Without a Hood Pin input, the Viper could remote start the engine with the hood up and engine repair underway or during an oil change, etc. Most install guides say it's Mandatory but the R/S function will work without it. The next is the 5806V alarm monitoring. Without a Hood Pin input the Viper alarm won't be triggered if the hood is opened. No big deal you say because the vehicle has an inside hood release. Again, it's your choice, one less wire to run... As for the extra hole and rust, there are options there. In a non-alarm R/S install, I use a mercury tilt switch mounted to a hood hinge bolt. No rust and better reliability. Photo below :
2001 Jeep Cherokee, Viper 5806V -- posted image.
3) Green/Black (-) 200mA Factory Alarm Disarm Output - OEM Alarm Disarm: VIOLET / YELLOW (-) DRIVER'S KICK PANEL does your Jeep have the factory alarm?
- I do not believe my Jeep has the factory alarm. I don't know exactly where to look for it at, and I've tried setting it off, by using the key fob to lock the door and then manually flipping the lock from inside the door and opening the door. This seems to set off the alarm on other vehicles. Not sure how to test with this vehicle.
You probably don't have the Factory Alarm system. Just having a Panic button on the factory FOB is not indicative of a Factory Alarm system. The test you mention is close. Try this, while sitting in the running vehicle, turn off the engine and remove the key. Stay seated but open the drivers door and press the lock button on the door panel twice, then close the door. Watch the dash / instrument cluster for a flashing light. If there is one, see if it slows down after 30 seconds or so. Wait about 2 minutes, then open the drivers door using the inside handle ( not the factory FOB ). If the horn starts beeping, you have the alarm system. No beeps, no alarm and no need for this wire connection.
5) Green (+) Starter Input (KEY SIDE of the failsafe starter disable) - cut YELLOW (+)     IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS - key side
- What do you mean by cut YELLOW (+) ??
One of the nice things about a Viper Alarm system is the Starter Kill and Anti-Grind feature. If the Viper system is locked and the alarm is on, if the car was broken into and a duplicate key was used to start the engine, the Starter Kill feature would prevent cranking. With the Anti-Grind feature, it will prevent engaging the starter during key-take-over. To achieve these features, the vehicles Starter wire is cut and the Vipers two Starter wires and spliced into the circuit. Everything works as normal with a key start but the Viper adds these extra features. If you did not want to cut the vehicles Starter wire, just omit the Vipers Green wire and only connect the Vipers Violet wire to the vehicles uncut Starter wire.
6) White Parking Light Output - #30 Common of onboard relay - Parking Lights: BLACK / YELLOW AT HEADLIGHT SWITCH. Set Viper fuse jumper to (+)
- What do you mean by "Set Viper fuse jumper to (+)"?
The Viper has the ability to output either a (+) or a (-) Parking Light output on the White wire. This is determined by an internal 10 Amp fuse that is used as a jumper setting. On the top side on the Viper controller is a small sliding access cover. The fuse is beneath that cover.
Soldering is fun!
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic