the12volt.com spacer
icon

2001 Toyota Tacoma, Keyless/Remote Start, Driver Door Priority

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
vauei 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2021 at 4:51 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote vauei
Hi guys,
I've worked with electronics, but not in cars. Looking to install a Compustar CM900 remote start unit. The wire info posted in a previous thread looks quite detailed and easy to verify during installation. I am however confused about the driver door priority unlock though and would like some clarification.
The car I'll be working on is a 2001 Tacoma with power locks, but no factory alarm/keyless entry system.
The CM900 has two wires which pulls to GND for unlock and priority unlock.
The "Lock Motor" and "Unlock Motor" from DirectWire wiring info is for the driver door only?
What does "5wi DKP" stand for?
Any idea where I'll be able to find this "12 pin plug" for the Lock/Unlock Motor wires? (Why is this so vague?)
My understanding is that for driver door priority unlock is that I'll CUT "Unlock Motor" wire and hook it up to a relay like so:
30 (COM) to motor
87a (NC) to the other end of the cut motor wire.
87 (NO) to 12v
Power and the CM900 priority unlock wire would activate the relay coil.
Thanks
Edit: So I've taken a closer look at the Avital 2101L install diagram provided by "howie II" in the other thread and Avital 2101L instruction manual and I feel like an idiot, because it does seem that easy. There does seem to be a issue with his diagram though. Avital 2101 H1/12 is "Horn Honk Output" and his diagram should be labeled H1/17 "Unlock #87A" instead. This was part of my confusion as I took a quick look at Avitals "Horn Honk Output", couldn't figure it out how it's function ties in to unlock function and dismissed it.
I still would like a to know what DKP stand for and the location of this "12 pin plug" before I just jump in though.
aurora24 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2021 at 10:01 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote aurora24
Hi Vauei,
5wi is referring to a 5 wire system for locks, and I believe DKP is Digital Key Pad, for your remote interface.
Aurora
wirewise 
Moderator - Posts: 489
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 29, 2021 at 10:05 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote wirewise
DKP is "driver's kick panel" meaning the wire location is behind the driver's kick panel.
~wirewise~ Verify all wiring with your meter before making any connections!
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2021 at 5:44 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
Check your CM900 kit to ensure you have the 6 Pin Lock harness. Some kits don't contain that harness. The Driver Priority Unlock output is not a default POC signal on the 12 Pin connector. If you have the OP-500 programmer then you can re-assign a POC to get that output on the 12 Pin harness.
The Priority Unlock is used if you want the ability to unlock the Drivers Door with the first Unlock press on the Compustar remote and unlock the other door(s) with the second Unlock press ( within 3 seconds ). I'm not positive on your specific vehicle but a lot of Toyota's do Priority Driver Door Unlock automatically. You should test your truck to see if thast is the case. Here is how.
1. First find these two wires.
Power Unlock......Red/Yellow (-)...........@ driver kick, white 12 pin plug, pin 8
Factory Alarm Disarm.......Blue/Black....double (-)...........@ driver kick, white 12 pin plug, pin 12
You can use a DMM to do this as follows : Set the DMM to 20V DC. Connect the Red test lead to +12V constant. Connect the Black test lead to the suspect wire. The DMM will go to +12V when the key is inserted in the drivers door and turned to unlock or the power unlock button is depressed, depending on which wire you are testing.
The Red/Yellow wire should unlock all doors with one (-) pulse. The Blue/Black wire is actually the Driver Door Key Unlock signal right from the key cylinder. If your truck does not have a Factory Alarm system it's typically not needed but can still be used to achieve the desired Priority Unlock function. The Blue/Black wire should unlock only the Drivers door with the first (-) pulse but will unlock the other doors with a second pulse within 3 seconds. Most installers will use this wire and set the aftermarket system ( CM900 ) for a double unlock pulse. This takes care of turning off the Factory Alarm system ( if present ) and unlocking all door with one FOB Unlock press.
If the Blue/Black works as described above, then you can connect the CM900 Unlock wire to it. First Unlock press will unlock the drivers door, second unlock press ( within 3 seconds ) will unlock the rest.
Soldering is fun!
vauei 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2021 at 4:34 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote vauei
@aurora24
Yes, I believe your right and 5wi is short for 5 wire.
@wirewise
That's probably it, that reminds me I did stumble onto the factory keyless/alarm RS3200 module installation manual, and there was a cable or two there along with some similar places where I'll be tapping into.
@kreg357
Thanks for your info about the Compustar system. My kit didn't come with the lock harness, although I did purchase the OP-500 programmer and do have a spare DM700 lock relay I could rip the cables off of.
I am aware of what Priority Unlock does, it is a 4-door truck so I figured I'd hook it up and have it function like all factory cars I've seen.
Again, this car does NOT have a factory alarm/key-less system. And if I recall correctly, the driver door key unlock is mechanical on the first turn to unlock driver side door and electronical on the second turn to unlock all door. Because of this I'm not sure has a built in Priority Unlock logic/wire I could tap into, but what you said makes sense and I will test the Blue/Black wire when I take this apart.
Appreciate the replys, I believe I have everything I need here. I’ll try to remember to post a reply if there’s something worth mentioning during the install.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic