the12volt.com spacer
icon

Viper VSM550 Not Working

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nicknt 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2021 at 1:11 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote nicknt
Just swapped it out at Best Buy. When I plug in the power and ground now the white led shows up. I had previously had this mounted in front of my IPC on my 99 Tahoe so it was not directly below any electronics, more like on the edge of it. Think somehow that could of cause a a short internally? I tried to keep it as near the top as possible but hidden.
Nick t
mgoetz74 
Silver - Posts: 424
Silver spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 11, 2021 at 2:25 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mgoetz74
I personally have never had that problem. The ones I've had to replace all set high in the dash with nothing by it. I keep it away from any factory control modules like bcms. I personally never heard of anyone with that problem
33 years as a installer now just a retired old guy. Favorite thing to install/topic are remote starts/car alarms. Stop using test lights!!!
nicknt 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2021 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote nicknt
I’m going to re-it in the same location since it sits forward of the IPC by a few inches, I purchased the extra $30 at Best Buy for protection plan so I believe if I have any issues now since it’s out of the exchange. I should now be able to exchange it anytime if it’s defective. If I had the same issue with this module our place and mount elsewhere elsewhere and continue the diagnosis from there, perhaps it’s just a bad module
Nick t
nicknt 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2021 at 7:50 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote nicknt
So far it’s been a few days and works great. I’ll just have to Chalk it up to a bad module
Nick t
nicknt 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2022 at 11:30 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote nicknt
Hey everyone, it's been awhile since i updated this. I fixed the viper VSM issue, turned out to be a bad module, got bestbuy to exchange it and have not had an issue since. I have Viper 5706, viper smart start VSM550, and thinkware dashcam F200 pro with front and rear camera hooked up. I purchased a solar charger to offset the parasitic draw so the battery doesn't die as often. This last few weeks I've been bored so I started messing around with my picoscope and amp clamp to see exactly how much draw I have from each item. Set up the scope and set it to about 13 hours, I think I used about 8-9 hours of time. Here is the draws I get from each specific item.
Viper 5706 & Idatalink(since it's plugged into the 5706 module = 67 milliamps
Smart Start Module = 31.5 milliamps
Dash cam, parking mode, motion detection = 213 milliamps
Dash cam, after it goes to sleep, I set it for 3 hours = About 0 milliamps
Smart start Module, Viper 5706 and dash cam while in parking mode motion detection = 313 millamps
Smart start module, viper 5706 and dash cam after 3 hour shut off = 100 milliamps
My truck by itself is about 1.5 milliamps(.0015 amps)
Some of those specs are higher then what Viper had told me when I called support, but all are still manageable with the sunlight trickle charger. Def love having the scope hooked up and able to record everything. I could even see the spikes in mA when I used my phone to access smart start vehicle status. IF anyone has any questions let me know! I'm going to let my truck sit for a couple days and then recheck the draw and see if it's lower. My total record time for my scope was 7 hours and 51 minutes of data.
Nick t
Page of 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic