the12volt.com spacer
icon

2001 Toyota Camry, Factory Alarm Removal, Avital 5305L Install

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
esart 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2022 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote esart
Hello,
I've had a few recent break-ins and the stock alarm didn't alert me, so I'm beginning my security system upgrade this weekend.
I bought the Avital system, a battery backup, a tilt sensor, and a fuel door pin. I plan to wire these in myself. My car doesn't have a smart key, so I didn't purchase a bypass.
Today I spent some time removing panels and pulling out the old alarm harness, or what I thought was that. Afterwards, I tested the lock & unlock buttons on the Toyota fob to see if I was successful, but they still worked!
Because of that, I feel like there's still something in there that I need to uninstall before I put in the new system.
Does anyone know where Toyota may have hid something I'm not easily seeing?
Or is it even necessary to pull the stock keyless entry system out before adding a new alarm?
I see my new unit has listed a (-) 200mA FACTORY ALARM DISARM OUTPUT in the diagram. So maybe that overrides the Toyota keyless entry system, making the complete removal unnecessary?
Can anyone tell me if I'll need relays for the defroster, horn honk, parking lights output, or the dome light supervision? I'm already assuming I'll need them for headlights and taillights.
Thanks for any insight
New to alarm installation.
2001 Camry
1999 Legacy
1992 Civic
esart 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2022 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote esart
I'm going to start with the main harness, 5-pin connector.
-I'll run the black to an existing chassis bolt.
-Then the brown to the siren and its ground to the same chassis bolt above.
-The red to the 12v constant in the ignition harness.
*The orange GWA output I'll set aside for now because I'm not sure what I'll do with it yet.
-Finally, I'll jump the white wire to (+) on the brain and connect it to the green (+) parking light wire under the fuse box.
2001 Camry
1999 Legacy
1992 Civic
esart 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2022 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote esart
I got those above wired up.
I've been searching for the negative power unlock/lock wires (blue & blue/white), but I don't see them. I metered all of the fuse box and only got readings from the lock/unlock motors (blue/red & blue/black).
Does anyone know if it's ok to just use those instead? If so, will it then require a relay?
2001 Camry
1999 Legacy
1992 Civic
esart 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2022 at 3:24 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote esart
I ended up finding the correct lock/unlock wires. They were green & light green, located in the kick panel. The vehicle diagram on this site was inaccurate in my case.
So yesterday I got those hooked up, as well as the door triggers, hood pin, and tach input.
I peeled the plastic off my 2-way remote to test what I've done so far... and everything works great at this point!
I'm wondering if anyone knows how to silent arm/disarm this unit?
Next I plan to wire up the trunk trigger input, horn output, and dome light supervision. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing I'll need relays for the last two.
2001 Camry
1999 Legacy
1992 Civic
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 06, 2022 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
Silent arm should be the aux button followed by the arm button. You could also just turn off the confirmation chirps in the programming menu.
Horn should be a negative trigger so you shouldn't need a relay for it. Dome supervision will need a relay.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
esart 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2022 at 11:13 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote esart
Thanks for the reply. In that case think I will actually save this relay for another function; maybe a trunk solenoid. Seems like it would be more useful, since Camrys already have the option to illuminate the dome light on entry anyway.
I just finished browsing the programming menu and was wondering about code hopping; do you keep that turned on?
2001 Camry
1999 Legacy
1992 Civic
geepherder 
Posted: August 08, 2022 at 10:32 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
I just leave it on
esart 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2022 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote esart
Ok. Hey, how do you determine which wires will for sure need relays - trial and error? Sounds like units can vary in certain outputs being internally relayed...
2001 Camry
1999 Legacy
1992 Civic
esart 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2022 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote esart
Today I connected the trunk pin and parking brake inputs.
I also connected the brown/black (-) 200mA horn output, but it didn't function. I tried both green/black (-) wires in the steering column according to my diagram.
I tested both those with the multimeter while honking and only had a fluctuation of about .05 volts. I wasn't holding down the horn very long though, so I thought they were it.
Should I be seeing a lot more voltage loss when doing that and possibly have the wrong wires? Or do I need a relay to power the horn correctly?
2001 Camry
1999 Legacy
1992 Civic
geepherder 
Posted: August 09, 2022 at 10:27 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
Your manual should tell you the rating of the outputs. If an output is only rated for 200 mA current, it should only be used to drive a relay.
You may have better luck pulling your airbag to locate your horn wire. Then you can trace it back from there.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic