icon

Relay for Interior Neon

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
skifriek15 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2002 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  

I have neons in my car that are hooked up to my door pin so that when I open my doors the neons light up. However, I want to be able to use a toggle switch that will allow me to turn the lights on at my own free will, or have them turn on with the door pin (in other words, when the toggle switch is "on," the neons turn on regardless of the door pin position, and when the switch is "off," the neons will turn on only when the door pin is activated). Could someone please tell me how to hook up a relay switch to do this? Or maybe I'm using the wrong piece of hardware for the job. Thanks.

Again: When switch is "on," the neons are on no matter what,

When switch is "off," the neons will turn on with the activation  of the door pin.

Justin Karimi
hot_shot_guy123 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2002 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  

I'm not sure how to go about incorporating the door pin switch but I do know how to hook up a relay for a toggle switch.

PIN 86 = line in from switch

PIN 85 = Ground

PIN 87 = Constant 12v fused

PIN 30 = Out to Neons.

I don't know if this would work but if your door pins have a positive output then splice that wire and run a wire to pin 86 also.  When the door opens then it sends the power to the relay, acting as the switch and turns it on.  By flipping on the switch that would keep them on.  Like I said before I'm not too sure if this will work, so you can fiddle around and see what comes up, let me know what happens.

"Light travels faster then sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them speak."
hot_shot_guy123
skifriek15 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2002 at 8:39 PM / IP Logged  

I'm not that knowledgable of relays. I have installed many things, fog lamps, neons, etc. but have never used any relays before. But thanks for your reply, it sounds like it will work, and I have it all figured out in my head (what you said). The only problem, and it's a dumb question, but how do I test for a positive output on the doorpin? Can I use a testlight and connect the + wire of the test light to one of the doorpin wires and the - wire of the test light to the ground?? Would this be the correct way to check for a positive output?

My only concern with what you're describing is that I will blow a fuse. I tried to connect my switch to the neons AND the doorpin so that I would have an "On/door" activated switch, but I ended up blowing a fuse. Could this be because I hooked my neons up to the ground of the doorpin so that whenever the door opens, the ground is activated? When I tried to switch the two, I had the neons connected to the ground of the doorpin, and the switch connected to a constant ground. Could this have caused the problem?

One more last thing if you don't mind. If I don't have a positive output on my doorpin, what would you suggest doing to solve my problem?

Thank you

Justin Karimi
mobiletoys2002 
Gold - Posts: 1,050
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2002 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  
Did you check the polarity of you r door switch you probably sent positive 12 volts to ground which will blow a fuse every time.And if you were to try what hot shot says you will want to isolate the door trigger wire from  the wire you run to the  switch with a diode. the reason for this is if you turn on the neons with the switch the car will think the doors are open and you will get the door open light on or maybe even setting the key in ignition reminder off. a lot of things can happen if it is not isolated.
skifriek15 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2002 at 5:40 AM / IP Logged  
mobiletoys2002, so do you think you could send me a schematic on how to do what you are describing. I am sorry, but I am better dealing with pictures than anything else, so it would make things a lot easier if you could do so. Thank you.
Justin Karimi
mobiletoys2002 
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2002 at 8:44 AM / IP Logged  
Well what is the year and model of the car this will be going in??? Post your answer then i can tell you the best way to do it for what you want to accomplish.now you want a seperate switch to be able to turn your neons on regardless if the door is open and you also want the door to turn them on when open.is that correct?
skifriek15 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2002 at 11:36 AM / IP Logged  
mobiletoys2002, Yes, that is exactly what I want to do. I have a 1993 nissan altima and what you described is what I am aiming to do. It sounds like you've got something better in mind that what I have already been e-mailed with, so I will wait for you to reply before I try anything as to not waste any time. Thanks...
Justin Karimi
mobiletoys2002 
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2002 at 1:33 PM / IP Logged  

well your car uses negative door triggers so you will take the door triger wire and put it to pin 85 ,pin 86 will be constant twelve volts,pin 87 will also be constant twelve volts, and pin 30 will be the output to your positive wire to the neons transformer. now you can just wire your switch right in to the positive neons wire after the relay connection.

see how that works

mobiletoys2002 
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2002 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  
when you wire the switch  you want to add just use the constant 12 volts supply off pin 87 of the relay and you should be fine the only thing is you dont want to forget to turn the switch off when you leave the car so you dont drain the battery.good luck
skifriek15 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2002 at 2:37 PM / IP Logged  

I connect the switch to pin 87, but what do I do about pin 86? Does that just stay as is, or do I connect something to that too? I'm sorry, I'm not very good at this, so if you could maybe draw me a diagram, it would help immensely. Thanks for your help though.

Justin Karimi
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic