icon

auto window roll up with arming

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
MCubed45 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2003 at 5:31 PM / IP Logged  
hey guys what's the easiest way to have my windows automatically roll-up when i arm my alarm. my alarm has a (-) output when armed.  i have after market power windows and i've actually already wired them to an output channel from the alarm so i can control them by remote.  most've the wirings in place already i'm just trying to figure out the simplest way to do this.  basically the biggest obstacle is getting the signal to the windows to stop once they reach the fully closed position.  otherwise it'll be burning out the motors...
i'm thinking i *could* add some sort of sensor inside the doors to sense when they reach the full up postition but that'd be kind've a pain.. i'd probably be wiring a sensor inside each door and use it to cut the signal to the motor once the window is full open.
another option would be to construct a timer that would send an output to the windows for a set period of time when the alarm is armed (it should only require a couple seconds to fully close the windows).  the downside to this is that everytime i arm the alarm with the windows already up the motors will bet getting that signal for that set period of time with nowhere to go.  i'm not sure how much this would wear out the motors but i imagine with the number of times i arm the car everyday it'd eventually add up.
another possibility is some sort of circuit breaker device. i'm not too sure on how exactly i'd wire this one.  under normal operation the window motors draw about 2-3 amps each.  when the windows reach their fully up or down position and the motors can no longer turn, the current spikes to about 14amps per motor.  i suppose i could possible use this to cut the signal to the motors when the current spikes.  not exactly sure on that one though...
anyways any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
xetmes 
Silver - Posts: 586
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2003 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  

hmm... thats a good idea, what about something like a reed switch, and a magnet on the window frame, then the magnet will switch the reed switch. Or maybe a opto inturupter type thing with an led and a phototransistor that detects via light path.. I kinda like the idea us using the current draw, but im not totally sure how to do that (might be able to measure flux change in a coil). You might even be able to use something like a small piece of metal in some plastic that would touch the bottom of the window frame when it was all the way up (and theresor give a ground signal). thats kinda cheap tho. Maybe you could put a small roller switch that would sit close to the window and be triggered by the frame again. I dont know im just thinking out loud, those are my ideas auto window roll up with arming -- posted image.

How much fabrication would you be willing to do inside the door? Im thinking maybe you could have it check if the window is up, if not, it could wind it up for a specific time interval, or untill it turns off by the censor, that way if the censor fails it will still only crank the window a few seconds.

MCubed45 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2003 at 5:54 AM / IP Logged  
hmm thanks for the suggestions.  that's a good point about possibly using a timer and a sensor in conjunction.  i didn't even think about if the snesor fails.  that'd prolly burn out the motor in no time if it got left like that after i armed the alarm..  i don't really wanna do too much work or spend all that much. this is just b/c i'm getting lazy and tired of holding the button to roll the windows up before i arm the alarm..  haha i've already got remote windows but now i'm too lazy to hold the button =P  i don't want one touch either b/c i like being able to just open the windows partially. 
chuck_tempe 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2003 at 5:55 PM / IP Logged  
the best way to roll your windows up is to use a window module.  you should be able to purchase them under 40-50 dollars.  think of it as insurance against window motor failure.  i had a similar setup to what your describing years ago.  if you do install the window module and you didn't want the window to go up, just put in a switch under the dash to prevent the module from getting the negative pulse from the alarm. the button can also be a momentary push button if you also wire in a timer module with it, the timer module would prevent the windows from going up within a set time from arming and then if you were away from the car, if you arm it again, (if you were inside your house) you don't need to manually flip the switch.
MCubed45 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2003 at 4:30 AM / IP Logged  
nah i already have my own home made window module.  cost about $10 in parts.  i'm the one who's been discouraging people from buying those b/c it's easy and cheap to do yourself. i just want to modify it slightly. no point in purchasing a module when i've already got most've it done.  i can already roll both windows up AND down with a single channel on my alarm (validity output to NOT one touch)  i like it.  just wouldn't mind having auto roll up.
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2003 at 8:57 AM / IP Logged  

You've got the simple part done, not most if it done ;) I realize you want to create this yourself, but the easiest, cheapest, and least time consuming way to do get your windows to automatically roll up and stop properly is with a manufactured window module. I'll be the first use relays and other parts when and where I can, but by the time you get your homemade configuration capable of operating the same as a manufactured window module, you'll end up spending more money and time on it than you will with a manufactured module.

auto window roll up with arming -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
MCubed45 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2003 at 7:23 PM / IP Logged  

hmmm...  i dunno if i wanna trash the stuff i've already done just to add the auto roll up feature though.  i'm really happy with how mine came out but i've been bored and tryna find other things to do to my car.  i'm guessing the manufactured modules have a current sensor built into them?  (being that there's no additional sensor you install in the door or anything). i would think there'd be a cheap way to construct something similar...

*edit*

oh yea doesn't the dei 530t use more than one channel? idk i forget exactly how they work. anyone have the install manual?  i can't find it on the dei site. the main reason i like my home made system is that i managed to do everything with a single channel...  i'm gonna upgrade to a 7 channel alarm later but there's a lot more i plan to do and don't wanna waste any channels for something that could be done with a single channel.

chuck_tempe 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2003 at 10:52 PM / IP Logged  

you guessed right, the window modules DO sense current draw and therefore shut off power to the window motors.  that's why we were suggesting using them. it shuts off power individually to each window that it controls.

that way, if one window is partially higher or lower than they other, they turn off independently.

with your setup, you would still be sending power to the window that is closed already, causing unnecessay wear on the motor or burn it out.

the link to your wiring diagram can be found here:

http://www.p71interceptor.com/windowmodule/installmanuals/dei530t.html

MCubed45 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2003 at 5:00 PM / IP Logged  

thanks for the install manual!

actually as far as my setup i was considering putting an individual sensor in each window to cut power independantly.  this would circumvent the problem of excessivly driving the window which has already closed.  ideally i should probably use the sensor to cut the power at the relays rather than at the motors (but that'd be a lot more wires to run... =P)  just tryna figure the easiest way to do this.

after reading the operation portion of the manual i've concluded i highly prefer my setup over using a module.  my windows are tapped into a single channel validity output from my alarm which alternates between down and up motion.   it's fun to play with.  the way the module operates seems somewhat limited and requires the use of an additional button. 

how difficult would it be to construct a current sensitive circuit?  are there any prefabricated such units?  if not the the solution i'm leaning towards is an individual position sensor in each window and a timed output after arming just to be safe.

thanks for all your help and input!

chuck_tempe 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2003 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  

a long time ago, i used to have a single button remote that just disarmed the alarm.  it had an output as long as you held the button down. (really, really old alarm).  the setup i had used a racheting relay which was mechanical and had a arm that 'switched' 2 relays that controlled the direction of the windows.  i don't know where you could find such an item anymore.  it was kind of bulky but neat to play with.

you could use an alarm contact and magnet setup that is used in home alarms to detect if your window(s) is up or down.  the contacts can be normally open or normally closed circuits, whatever you want.  you can buy those at radio shack.

i don't know about a current sensing circuit, but i was thinking of a quick resetting circuit breaker.  you will have to experiment with the amperage or current draw of your actual window motors.

if your window motors have a 'clutch' mechanism built-in, then you could use a timer instead of circuit breakers.

glad i could help!  (sorry about not getting back sooner, been busy with work!)

ex 12 year car stereo, alarm techie.
now in res/com low voltage,voice/data
donate HERE
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic