icon

box size

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
silverbullet00 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2003 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  

OK, the magice number is supposed to be 1728.  When I use the link you gave, here is what I get...........

33x12.5x22=4.1 cubic feet 3/4" MDF

When I use the calculator, this is what I get, keep in mind I am subtracting 3/4" for the wood..

32.25x11.75x21.25=4.6 cubic feet

What am I doing wrong?  The numbers should be the same whatever method I use.

speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2003 at 11:46 PM / IP Logged  
 the 3/4" is in the formula already. I went to the page and ran your numbers of 33"x12.5"x22" with .75 for the board = 4.11068ft cubed. like the other guys said go with 1cubic ft per woofer and have sep chambers for each if you want the most from your box.
Big Dave
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2003 at 8:14 AM / IP Logged  

The 2 main reasons you will want separate chambers are 1) the subs create pressure inside the box which makes it flex. If the box is flexing then you have a loss of bass (applies mostly to a spl setup) by adding a divider it acts as a brace making your box more rigid. 2) In large enclosures you get stagnant waves which results in cancellation. If you divide your box up it creates smaller boxes thus minimizing if not eliminating cancellation.

BumpNGlow 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2003 at 7:05 PM / IP Logged  

don't forget to add in your chamber walls to your box size though.  They make the box smaller.  Cut the box into 4 seperate boxes when you are figuring out the space.

If 33" is as wide as you can, 3 10's might be all the room you have unless you want to do a fancy clam shell box (which is not easy for a first time box builder).

You had mentioned that you would put 2 on top and top 2 facing to the rear.  I (as well as others I'm sure) recommend against doing this in most cases.

Greenmachine 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2003 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  
Fellow grandsOntaio member...... check out this link http://speakerboxfactory.com/
Silky smooth and rockin hard
Ecotec power
Greenmachine 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2003 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged  
Just an idea but here is a box from a side view i just cooked up box size - Page 2 -- posted image.
Silky smooth and rockin hard
Ecotec power
silverbullet00 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2003 at 8:17 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for all the help and tips guys.  We got the box built and I just got home with it.  I still have to cut out the holes for the subs but everything is assembled.  I did manage to get all 4 subs in the front panel, barely but it did fit.  All the cuts went smooth and everything fit tight together except the one end.  Is has an 1/8" gap from the botton to about 1/4 way up.  Anyways, I am just going to cut out the holes and apply the silicone.  I will let is set until tomrrowafter lunch at which time I will do the hook ups.  Thanks again everybody and nice to see you here fellow Grands member, lol.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic