icon

civic amp/wires/sub install

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stockcivic 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2003 at 1:55 AM / IP Logged  
alright, I am impressed with the box, built to my sub's specs and I just got carpet for it. I am waiting to get the sub before I make the hole that it drops into, I think I will use a router, is there an easier way to cut this? Then I want to do the carpet, I went to best buy and got their stuff for $10 and I am a bit confused on how to do it. I was thinking I would kind of wrap up the box with the carpet, using a staple gun at vital points and pulling the carpet tight for a nice fit. do I need to get the cement stuff or something else, anybody able to specify a SIMPLE way to carpet a box that doesn't look shabby? plan B would be to cut sheets 1 at a time for each side, glue it down and trim around it with an exacto blade, which may be easier. I got a lot of carpet so I was thinking I would play around with it. any suggestions?
drvnbysound 
Silver - Posts: 289
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2003 at 9:51 AM / IP Logged  
There are much easier ways of carpeting boxes. I have built enclosures for about 4 yrs now, and can have then built and carpeted in about an hour and 30 min. Anyhow, there are circle cutting jigs that can be purchased for routers. The only place that I know of at the moment to purchase one in store, would be Sears. I have yet to see one in Home Depot or Lowes, etc.
When you begin carpeting, pick up some 3M Super 77 Adhesive Spray from Wal-Mart, Home Depot, or any other hardware store. You will want to start on the back or bottom of the box. Spray about 1/2 of the side.. and start there. Wrap around the box.   Then cut the excess at the edge where you started with a razor blade. Then you will be able to pull the excess carpet over the sides.
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2003 at 9:58 AM / IP Logged  

Yea I agree, the easiest way to cut the hole is definitely using a circle cutting jig and a router.  But if you don'thave a router or a jig, or don't want to get one, it can be done with a jigsaw.  It's a lot more work but it is still possible

When I do my boxes I use a spray type adhesive, and apply it to both the carpet and the box.  It sticks REALLY well and stands up to heat very well.  I don't have the 3m brand but I imagine it's just as good, if not better, than the stuff that I use.

Also I think it's worth mentioning that a lot of times people only have a very limited amount of material to work with, and therefore they have to use methods that will waste as little of the carpet as possible. But this also means sometimes it makes it harder and more time consuming, that just wrapping the whole box up real easy.

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
stockcivic 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2003 at 10:54 AM / IP Logged  
alright now that that is all squared away, I got a whole new set of questions... I know there are pieces in my car (predominantly the 2 doors and kickpanels) that vibrate badly, and will need to be messed with- as the sub will generate much more vibrations. I was thinking about getting a dynamat car kit but that seems expensive and probably wouldn't do much, so what can I do to kill some of these vibrations? I was thinking to help stop some door vibrations I would put something behind my front speakers (maybe polyfill if that is the right stuff), and may devise a way to get rid of the rattling kickpanels altogether. if you are familiar with the 96-00 honda civic you know that the front kickpanels are notorious for making noise. help? 
FakeSnake 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2003 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  
I just have a quick question regarding the installation of the head unit. In the installdr.com page, it stated that at the time of publication (99) there was no third-party adapter to alleviate the keyless entry problem. Are there any products today that would help me?
chevylove 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2003 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  
To escape the cost of dynomat and kill lots of the vibration use double sided mounting tape anywhere plastic comes in contact w/ metal.  It does wonders.
Drew   "Fuses are only 10 cents...go for it."
stockcivic 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2003 at 2:47 AM / IP Logged  
wow that is great- double sided tape!!!! as far as the problem in 99 about the keyless entry, I have a headunit and no prob with any keyless entry, I would think any wire harness and aftermarket installation kit that you would buy at cartoys or best buy would have the problems squared away, I def don't have a problem with that here...
esmith69 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2003 at 8:44 AM / IP Logged  

This is the harness you have to use if you have the factory keyless entry....you have to keep the stock head unit and plug it in to the female plug on this harness, and then relocate it somewhere in the vehicle.

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
stockcivic 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2003 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  

UPDATE: my sub came today!!! so, I finished the box, the carpet looks alright (I admit it could look better but I am happy about it) wired up the sub for 2 ohm operation and it is installed in the box. I put in a good deal of fiberglass insulation (sold at home depot, they make small packages now for $4!) because I used 1/2 inch mdf instead of 5/8 or 3/4. next step is to install my amp wire kit - that'll be a trip, and I need to buy an amp. my friend said he could sell me his Kenwood amp for $50, it is the one from last year and it says 350w on it and is 2 channel, is it 2 ohm stable? will that provide adequate wattage to my sub (300w)? 

esmith69 
Posted: July 02, 2003 at 5:33 PM / IP Logged  

I'm pretty sure the amp you're describing is either this model, or the previous year's comparable model with identical specs and just a different exterior.  It is not 2-ohm mono stable.

In any case, that amp only puts out 150 watts RMS x 1 channel, and even then it'll only do that when you run it bridged to a 4-ohm load.  As we said earlier, since your sub has two 4-ohm voice coils, it's not possible to wire them up for a single 4-ohm.  Other than an 8-ohm bridged load (which you do NOT want to even consider doing as it will put out even less power), the only way you'd be able to run this sub would be with hooking both voice coils up to a single channel, for a 2-ohm STEREO load on the amp.  This will send 75 watts RMS to the sub, leaving basically half of the amp unused.  Needless to say, 37.5 watts per voice coil is seriously underpowering this subwoofer and I don't think you'd be pleased at all with the way it sounds.

If I were you I'd spend the extra $150 for the JBL BP600.1 amp.   Even at $199 it's a bargain considering how much power you get and how solid and versatile of an amp it is.

Normally I would recommend that if you're on a really tight budget you check out an inexpensive 2-channel amplifier, but the problem is that these only reach their full potential when you're able to bridge them. You can't do that with the DVC sub you have right now;  so you'd have to look for a 2-channel amp that puts out 150 watts RMS x 2 channels@ 4 ohms stereo, and you'd have to hook up each voice coil on a separate  amplifier output channel.  This is something you always want to try and avoid whenever possible.  Also, a 2-channel amp that puts out 150 watts RMS x 2 channels @ 4 ohms stereo is probably going to cost you close to the $200 that you'd shell out for the JBL amp.

Ethan
-----
Donate to the12volt.com
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic