the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

No Fuse?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Sebastian018 
Silver - Posts: 364
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2003 at 3:12 PM / IP Logged  
the inline fuse in not to protect the amplifier is to   !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!protect the wire!!!!!!
ezridr 
Copper - Posts: 127
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2003 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  

Sebastian you are essentially right, that is one of the things it protects, as an end result. Without a fuse if a positive wire gets "shorted" to ground it basically heats up  (very hot) and melts its coating off and anything else lying on or around it. Basically it is like a welding line at a lesser voltage. Eventually it will either melt the copper wire or continue to melt until the battery is fried possibly damaging other components in the vehicle and giving you that wonderful burnt smell in your car. Now some amplifier companies don't include a fuse on their circuit board (JL Audio for instance) so if not having a fuse with one of these amps the wire is going to burn and short whatever is at both ends.  Amps that do have a fuse will blow the fuse in the amp but will not stopthe wire from burning back to the battery.

As far as Big Purds is concerned, there is no "LAW" that says you HAVE to have a fuse or a circuit breaker, it is a reccomendation of every manufacturer though, and makes for good common sense. Not everyone is privy to have extra computers and electrical components for their car lying around and if you haven't looked there are a lot more companies other than Monster that make fuse holders and circuit breakers. I understand that you choose not to use a fuse at the battery and that's a big risk you are willing to take, but that is just your opinion, just don't ever volunteer to wire up any of my amps.No Fuse? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

My mechanic told me, "I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder"
mobile_chick 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2003 at 10:22 PM / IP Logged  
Not using a fuse at the battery is a verry bad idea and it always should have a fuse there. The idea is for the fuse to blow at the source of voltage so that the wire does not set your car on fire which if you have a 8 or 4 guage short out to ground a fire will most likely occur . The fuse is only a little amount of money to replace but your car is not..
BD pathfinder 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2003 at 10:49 PM / IP Logged  

I'm sorry but your logic is flawed... If the only reason you refuse to install a fuse is because it (looks to small) and are afraid of loosing power or voltage to the amps? Than you are rely uninformed. Especially if you are running such a large gauge wire to the amps. They can only use and draw so much power off the 12-14v electrical system and if a fuse is rated at 100amps than that is the most it can carry, even though your system is only pulling 25 amps through your 300 amp wire.. It is overkill and a market fad to run such wiring to your system. As far as running everything in a good safe place so nothing rubs the jacket and causes a short, that's imposable to grantee. What about a car wreck and the wire is crimped and shorted out sparking that new fuel spill.. I have seen it happen. And for insurance, they have investigators that DO know what to look for. and when they find an aftermarket install of oversized unfused wire directly to the battery they will refuse to pay. You cant destroy your own car and stick out your hand. I have been part of insurance clam investigations and also seen personally the result of a fire caused by such an install. I wont just melt the copper or jacket. The thing will get red hot,, and hot enough in a matter of moments to catch other things on fire. Like melting a hard brake line or fuel line, interior carpeting or other wires they cross. It WILL burn your car to the ground.

I suggest you study oams law figure out exactly what your amps are actually drawing, determine the real wiring size needed, and than think of what you are doing and risking. A 100 amp fuse will not restrict voltage or reduce the amount of power you system can draw.

GOOD LUCK...

mobiletoys2002 
Gold - Posts: 1,050
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2003 at 11:44 PM / IP Logged  
What makes you think the fuse adds so much resistance that it will affect your sytem? Everything you will add to your sytem has resistance the 1 guage wire you have will cause a voltage drop to your amp just as a fuse will, but the thing is this drop is not much at all and your amp will still get the voltage it needs to perform at its best with or without the fuse. A fuse will add different amounts of resitance, a wafer style fuse will add a verry little amount of resitance compared to an agu style fuse but either fuse will not add enough to do anything to a system and one day when your car is burning up you will see what you have caused by not adding that fuse. But as they say to each there own and all i have to say is good luck to you and i am glad i can install my own sytems because if someone were ever to wire a sytem for me i would hope they knew enough to always be safe instead of me being sorry after my car is on fire.
mobiletoys2002 
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2003 at 12:51 AM / IP Logged  
oh by the way a 8 guage wire that is about 12 feet long that was shorted would have about 1,200 amps going through it and dissipate about 14,000 watts so think about that when you dont fuse that is more heat than your stove can produce.
mobiletoys2002 
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2003 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  
what if your amp decides to go and make its own path from positive to negative causing a direct short. all that good routing of wire will get you nothing but a burnt power wire and anything else in its path including your car.
bigunner1 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2003 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  
i couldn't agree more, even at sound offs the judges look for fuses, and other saftey precautions. i have six fuses in my system, so that must mean i am only getting one sixth of the performance? i have a 100amp circiut breaker mounted within 18" of the battery, three 60amp fuses at the dist.block, also within 18" of all 3 amps, plus the 40 amp maxi fuses in each amp. all this protection and still the ability to hit a clean 130db. with only 2 10" subs in a reg. cab truck!   safety is the key, and plus, the gold fuses and blocks and stuff give your system a nice professional look.
Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2003 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  
lol...
I said in my original post (if any of you can read thoroughly before running your mouths) that I install this way for myself in my own car...I install for people everyday and dont do it anywhere else unless the customer requests it and fully understands the risks...
I am aware that other companies make distros and fuse blocks, but everything I have is monster so I will keep everything monster...besides I dont really like any other manufacturers fuse blocks either...
my system as it stands can draw 270A of current...tell me that 100A or 150A fuse is NOT going to restrict the power going through there...they pop in seconds...bear in mind that this is just the system, not the car...
what if your amp decides to go and make its own path from positive to negative causing a direct short. all that good routing of wire will get you nothing but a burnt power wire and anything else in its path including your car.
mobiletoys, there is enough power there that the amp will burn up inside before anything else...the PCB will melt before "burning down my car..." dont believe me? put 270A of current through a PCB and tell me what happens...been there, done that...so your theory of the amp dead shorting and causing a fire has no merit...I am running 2 batteries, out of a diesel truck...1100CCA each...
in closing, everyone has their opinions and they are welcome to keep them...I fully understand the risks and havent read anything posted here that hasnt already been taken into consideration...
but thank you all for your concern No Fuse? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
Big Purds - RiskTaker...
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic