icon

Amplifier for 2 10 Diamond Subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nbahoopstar 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2003 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  
(2) 10" 8 ohm single voice coil subsI think they are 350 RMS and 500 max. Any suggestions? Also is there an honest and reputable place to have amps repaired in the Portland Oregon area? If so, please LMK.
Loud Subwoofers only, do not make a quality car audio system, especially when they are worth more than your "car"
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2003 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  

If you're looking to save some money think about getting a 2-channel amp cuz with two 8-ohm subs wired in parallel you can present a single 4-ohm speaker load to an amplifier.  Most 2-channel amps can have their power output maximized by bridging them to a 4-ohm mono load.

OR if you can get your hands on a JBL BP600.1 it'll give you a whole bunch of bang for your buck as well.

There really are so many choices out there with amps and it's hard to know what to suggest without knowing at least how much you're looking to spend...

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
nbahoopstar 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2003 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  
Around $250 max. on eBay. Any suggestions?
Loud Subwoofers only, do not make a quality car audio system, especially when they are worth more than your "car"
esmith69 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2003 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  
JBL BP600.1
Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
tdsteele 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2003 at 6:52 AM / IP Logged  
You sure they are Diamond subs?? All the Diamonds I have seen are Dual voice coils in either 2 ohm or 4 ohm. Do they have any model numbers or other markings on them anywhere??
nbahoopstar 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2003 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  
Yes I do. They are Diamond Model #M5101.8. I tested them with my digital and they are reading 8ohms each. If I parallel them with the JBL BP600.1 on a single channel, which puts out 300 w/rms @ 4ohms, will that be enough power? I honestly don't know...please LMK.
testes 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2003 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
You need more power.  I would get a a good two channel amp and bridge it to a 4 ohm mono load.
nbahoopstar 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2003 at 10:49 PM / IP Logged  
O.K.... what 2 channel amp should I get? A JBL BP1200?
thomasbutler 
Copper - Posts: 91
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2003 at 4:45 AM / IP Logged  
If You put a Jbl 1200.1 on those and turn it up you will need a new set of speakers.  If you do I dont think you want to bridge it all the way down.  It is 1200 watts at 1 ohm just be careful.
esmith69 
Posted: July 11, 2003 at 10:25 AM / IP Logged  

The BP1200.1 is a mono (1-channel) amplifier and puts out 600 watts RMS when you hook it up to a 4-ohm load.  With two of those subs wired in parallel to present the amp with a single 4-ohm load, each sub would be getting 300 watts RMS.  The BP1200.1 will work great with these subs.

If you can find a 2-channel amp that will put out that much power when it's bridged to a 4-ohm load then you can always go that route too.  Personally though I'd rather have the JBL amp as it's really a nice bass amp and if you're willing to buy it from an online dealer you can find it at a very reasonable price.

Ethan
-----
Donate to the12volt.com
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic