icon

sub popping noise problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
yamez 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2003 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  
I've been having popping sounds since I installed my old Solo-Baric in my Buick with the Fosgate Punch 250a2.
It makes a sound like an irregular heartbeat, with varying regularity and volume. It makes noise whether the car is on or off, but only when the stereo is on.
Here's the clincher: and it only makes the noises when I'm running the CD player in the Premier deck. No problems with radio, no problems with changer... only problems with the in-dash CD player.
Any ideas?
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2003 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged  

what happens if you pause the CD does it still have the noise?  Also, what about when you first insert a disc and during the 5 or so seconds it takes to recognize and start spinning it up....do you hear the noise then as well?

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
yamez 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2003 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  
Any time it's on "CD" it makes the noise, regardless of whether the CD is loading, playing, or paused. It is also the same regardless of whether the volume is at zero or turned up.
One more tidbit - usually it sounds like a heartbeat, but sometimes it sounds more like someone blowing into a microphone.
Sound Pressure 
Silver - Posts: 711
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2003 at 1:46 AM / IP Logged  
Check your ground for your amp. Make sure that it is paint, rust free. Check your gains to make sure that they are not maxed out if so try lowring them to see if that helps. Overall check the grounds.
Sound Pressure
You know you have the right amount of pressure when your eyes start to water! Now you've got Juice!
yamez 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2003 at 12:33 PM / IP Logged  
The gains don't change anything. The ground is well connected to the side of the trunk - I can't tell if it's metal or some sort of fiberglass material. Could that be the problem?
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2003 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  
Yes it must be pure clean metal. If you’re unsure of the material I would suggest that you find another ground location. But did the setup work fine on cd prior to you installing the Solo-Baric?  If it works fine when just playing the radio sounds to me like you might have a problem with the CD player itself?
Sound Pressure 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2003 at 11:16 PM / IP Logged  
Change your ground to the floor of the trunk and scrape all paint until you see a shinny metal surface so that you know that it is a solid ground. Let us know if this resolves that problem.
Sound Pressure
You know you have the right amount of pressure when your eyes start to water! Now you've got Juice!
yamez 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2003 at 4:44 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, I sanded all the paint off where I connected it to the trunk floor. No change. I think that it might be worse when the car is running as well - possibly interfering some when the radio is on. Hard to tell.
I put the deck in at the same time as the sub, so I can't isolate it that way. However, it was all in another car immediately before that with no problem.
Sound Pressure 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2003 at 11:36 PM / IP Logged  
How and where is your radio grounded at? Is it on a solid ground behind the radio? Do you have any other equipment in the car like external cross overs, eq's things like that? If so did you check the grounds on those? What kind of car do you have? Make,model,year.
Sound Pressure
yamez 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2003 at 7:12 AM / IP Logged  
93 Buick Century.
No other equipment. Premier deck going to the Fosgate amp to the Solo-Baric. Haven't finished the kick panels yet, so no second amp and no components.
The ground for the head unit looks great. Didn't have the time to move it just to make sure that wasn't it, but I can.
I did change the RCA cables and it made a huge difference. NOW, it is absolutely crystal silent except for when the in-dash CD player is spinning up or seeking to a different track.
Is there any conclusion other than that my deck is somehow fried? Could it still be the H/U GND?
The only other thing that I can think of is that the H/U isn't connected in a rock solid way to the dash kit. The one they sold me didn't have the right parts and I was impatient and jury-rigged a set-up with those little plastic ties. From the front it looks normal, but it's not in there in a perfectly stable way.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic