icon

Best Buy wages

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kickinteg 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2003 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  

How much do installers make at Best Buy???  The minimum and maximum??  The reason I'm asking is a Best Buy is opening in my town.

ezridr 
Copper - Posts: 127
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2003 at 1:04 AM / IP Logged  
With little or no experience and not being MECP certified expect $8 an hr or less, with some experieince or certified you can get anywhere from $9-$12 an hour.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder"
ViperATC5 
Copper - Posts: 202
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2003 at 6:26 AM / IP Logged  
you can do better than 12 at best buy, pay scale tops out at around $15 for a certified installer, supervisor positions to apprx $19-20 (with tenure, not starting pay)
kickinteg 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2003 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged  
Well I do AS degree in Electronics and have installed in over 20 cars over the last two years as a part time job.  No type of certification though.  All self taught by hands on, and lots of reading.  My car is also my demo vehicle.  Where do guys think I stack up as a beginner installer??  I was thinking of somewhere between $10-13/ hr.   My last job(not as an installer), I was making $15/hr but I had to quit cause I was overworking myself and getting no credit. 
chasesaccessori 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2003 at 3:36 PM / IP Logged  
I would test you out for a 30 day trial first in my shop doing a little of everything. Certification is nice but not everything in my opinion. If you were to be working out I would offer to refund the $ for cert if you passed. All my workers make pretty good $ as long as the comebacks are few and far between w/exceptions. Can't give you a $ amount just because it's based on quality, speed and professionalism.
(owner/installer)
Chase's Accessories
Ridgecrest, CA
in business since 92
iairj84 
Copper - Posts: 83
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2003 at 3:52 AM / IP Logged  
Ok question to All: what does it take to become certified and do you just take this test online or what? can i take courses on this or is it by a book or hands on? thanks a lot
al.c 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2003 at 9:28 AM / IP Logged  
The pay would depend on where you are located, I'm located in the west coast and the start for an experenced installer starts at around 16.00 an hour base, after you get MECP certified you will get a raise and after you 90 days you should get a %4 raise and a review every year following a raise until you're topped out at around 19-20 (not a sup) as for working best buy make sure when the say they're going to do something for you, hold them to it, alot of empty promises.
good luck
ps the hours there suck, open one day close another, split days off never the same, so hope your flexible with hours.
12voltking 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2003 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  
I was a install manager at best buy for 7 years, the pay scale now is a lil different. They will start you out on a 90 day trial, 8.00 /hour. Then they pay for you to take the mecp exam after you pass their mobile exam, then you recieve a raise. After that it's based on time and performance. Don't expect it to be easy to be hired there. Even though it's a national chain, they still require experienced installers. Go to the first job fair and talk the talk when you speak with the people doping the hiring. As for 20 cars; most experienced installers there do about 800 a year!! Takes some pics of your rides and your demo car to look professional, good luck!!!
yeah, I said King
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2003 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  

I got lucky and went to my Best Buy when they were really really desperate for people to work back in the install bay.  So even though I had no professional experience (and only maybe 5-10 personal installs) they still hired me.  They trained me a little bit but I just kinda learned as I went along; I believe a lot of the stores will give you real training though.  It really depends on where the store is and how much competition your shop will have with other local places.  Around here we've got dozens and dozens of competitors (every circuit city location, plus a whole bunch of local shops). But I've talked to a couple of people on this site whose stores are huge and some of them have very little competition at all.  Things seem to run more smoothly at those larger, more dominant stores and usually they have the best installers.

It is an extremely challenging work environment because unlike a lot of local shops around here, at best buy they expect the installers to also be the secretaries basically, and you have to answer the phones, make appointments, deal with angry customers, ring people up for the installs, and so much more; and all of this while you're working IN a car!!!  Some of the shops have headset phones that all the installers get to wear and I really wish our shop had them because when you're stuck in the trunk of a car trying to screw in a cd changer to the rear deck and the darn phone rings it'd be nice to be able to answer it without having to stop working!!!!

It can get really stressful and definitely you need to be able to keep your cool and have patience, or else you won't last very long there.  Without a doubt I'd say the Christmas season is the worst time and you'll hate the job then.  Leading up to christmas it's busy as hell but not a whole lot of people get stuff installed;  they made us installers go up on the floor to help sell stuff though and let me tell you all of us hated that b/c we're just not really salespeopleBest Buy wages -- posted image..

But starting the day after christmas it is HELL!! Everyone and their mother wants their stereo installed and they want it installed right then and there.  Your waiting room will be packed full of people just waiting to be helped out.  Luckily during these few days all the vehicles are dropoffs so you don't have to stress majorly about working real fast, though the better and faster you work the more hours you get.  You have to be able to juggle like 5 different cars at once and to help 10 people at the same time.

Just to give you an idea of the hours during the first 3 or 4 days after christmas...I had to be there at 6:30 in the morning and  I worked until 7 or 8 at night.Best Buy wages -- posted image.

around here starting pay is $8.50 but I think it goes up to $11 once you get your basic MECP certification.  And during the christmas season you'll get a lot of overtime pay (the managers won't give you crap that time of the year for working extra, but they will any other time of the year).

Another thing to remember is that not all employees there are full time ones.  In other words, if you need benefits like health insurance,  you need to make that really clear to your supervisor and also the better of a job you do the more likely they will be to get you into the system as full time.  Also you still have to work 60 days as full time before you can do the benefits.  In general at least for the Best Buys around here, it all comes down to MONEY.  Whoever can do the most cars in a certain amount of time is just gonna get more hours.  To your supervisor and managers it's all about productivity because the more productive you are the more money they make.  In my opinion when you rush you screw things up and then the customer has to return sometime in the future and that's definitely worse than just taking a lil extra time to do it right the first time.

Overall though it is a LOT of fun working back in the install bay.  At ours we have our own bathroom, water cooler, fridge, microwave, and parking lot, and it's just a whole different environment out there. Although we do have to deal with some angry customers, it's a totally different focus back there because our job is to INSTALL stuff, not to sell it.  It's a lot more casual and you can talk to your buddies while you're working on stuff.  Also if you like to curse or find that you curse a lot when you're frustrated you can pretty much do it as much as you want back there, unlike inside the store.

Pretty much everyone who works there is in love with cars and stereos and you'll always have someone to talk to about that stuffBest Buy wages -- posted image.

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
themagicone 
Silver - Posts: 325
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2003 at 8:33 AM / IP Logged  
Best Buy really sucks! I started there with an $8.40/hour base + commision on the ammount of work I did. It worked out to be around $12/hour plus tons and tons of overtime. I don't think I went a week without 50+hours in. Then they started pulling sh*t on me.... FIrst they took away the commision and gave me only $9.89/hour - not even close to what I was making THEN they told me no more overtime, not even 40 hours would be allowed! I was down to 34 hours a week and making half of what I used to. I told them I wanted a raise or I'm leaving - they fired me for it - I was threatning mangement according to them.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic