icon

Splicing into factory stereo

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
techsupport 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2003 at 2:26 PM / IP Logged  
What is the easiest way, and best connectors to use to splice a high/low RCA converter into a factory stereo's speaker wires?
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2003 at 7:52 PM / IP Logged  

If you're using the converter for a subwoofer amp then you should just strip off some insulation from the factory wire, twist the correct converter wire onto it, and solder.  wrap it up with some electrical tape.  Or you can cut the wires, strip insulation off the factory end, insert that into one end of a butt connector, and then twist together the end that goes directly to the spekaers with the end that goes to your LOC.  and then insert the two wires into the other end of the butt connector and crimp together.  When done right this will give you  apretty solid connection; but still I always prefer to solder onto the wire and leave it intact.

If however you are doing an aftermarket 4-channel amplifier (but still using the stock source unit and speaker wiring), then you'd want to cut the speaker wires instead of leaving them intact as you would with a sub amp install.  This way you can use the factory speaker wiring and hook it up to the 4-channel amp, but if u don't disconnect the wires from the radio side you could fry the radio when the 4-channel turns on.  Technically soldering is still the best method even if you have the end of the wire to work with.  However, you can also use butt connectors to crimp the wire connections instead.  I almost always use the small red ones (18-22 gauge I think) because they do a better crimp on the small factory wires than the larger blue ones (14-16 gauge). However, if you're doing the sub amp install that I first mentioned and are gonna be twisting together those wires you'll probably need one of the blue ones instead.

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
techsupport 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2003 at 7:10 AM / IP Logged  

From doing research on the RCA line converters, I've noticed that the one I have in particular transfers up to 35 watts per channel.  So if I have a 200 watt amplifier, am I only using 35 watts of it(per channel)?  Or am I reading that wrong?

I originally had it installed at American in an Explorer Sport, which that might explain why my sub didn't sound that great afterwords.

esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2003 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged  

Usually the power ratings that they include with some line output converters are what the converter can handle without causing the signal to distort at all.   Most of the time it will be an RMS spec. that's listed but sometimes they are unclear as to whether or not when they say "maximum power handling 35 watts" they mean peak power handling or the upper limit of the RMS power handling.

What kind of amplifier do you have?  Because what it says on the outside of it is most likely not anywhere near what it really puts out;  most manufacturers only display/advertise the peak power output even though it's basically meaningless.

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
JPHill 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2003 at 1:52 AM / IP Logged  
i have a Road Gear line out converter that i bought from Sears .i used it to connect it to my moms factory unit. why does the converter have a black ground wire in the middle of all the speaker wires?
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Posted: August 01, 2003 at 3:13 AM / IP Logged  
I believe it's more of a safety feature. Even though the converter itself isn't receiving a direct outside power source (like from a battery), you're still passing an electrical current through the converter through the speaker cables. I believe a common ground is still used by the internal resistors (or something like that) in the converter. An old electronics rule of thumb is to ground every electrical component (except speakers) to the chasis of the vehicle.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
fordfan 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2003 at 7:21 AM / IP Logged  
The lines\ converter`s I use are made by PAC and they have brown wires instead of black and they say to connect them to ground only if there is no sound coming from the amp. So far I`ve never had to ground these wires and never had any problems.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2003 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged  
The power rating of a passive line-out converter refers to the maximum input power.  This is the pawer on the speaker level signal you are converting.  Usually, they come in 10-30 watt or 20-50 watt flavors...

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic