icon

l7 15's in a silverado

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
doubleduece 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2003 at 2:49 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 1997 extended cab silverado. i was originally planning on putting 2 kicker l7 15's in it, each powered by a kx 1200.1 kicker amp. i was wondering if i could fit three in there with enough air space and how many amps would i have to use? i dont really want to wall it off unless that is my omly option. should i dynamat my truck? im kinda on a budget,like my bro, l7sdime, and someone told him to use brown bread,wut is that?? How would i go about installing this system? Thanx 4 your help.

Trey

wrencher_25 
Copper - Posts: 101
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2003 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  

Brown Bread is another form of dynamat.

It's always a good idea to use Brown Bread or Dynamat ESPECIALLY when doing a system like you are planning to do. It helps keep bass in and you lose less sound due to the rattling of your truck. As soon as your truck starts rattling, it takes away from pressure that COULD be building up inside your vehicle. l7 15's in a silverado -- posted image.

Good luck fitting three in...no clue with that one, u'd have to work out some box sizes and how many cubic feet you'll have without having to build a wall.

Good Luck

Andrew Weitzel
MECP First Class Installer
l7sdime 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2003 at 10:42 AM / IP Logged  

thanx for replyin 2 me,im gonna need some help with this stuff. well i know that one of the l7 15's needs 6.0 cu ft. so for all three of them i will need around 18 cu ft. and do you have any advice on amps? i was planning on running a kx 1200.1 to each of them,but that would be mega expensive. My bro  wants to get 4 l7 12's, and he was told to run one kx 1200.1 to them in a series,and all of them would get 1200 watts a piece. should i do that or should i go with two amps to get closer to max power,and then run those 2 amps in a series? Thanx alot for the help.

Trey

doubleduece 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2003 at 10:53 AM / IP Logged  

i jus wanted 2 say that i was accidentally on my bros name (l7sdime) when i replied to u in the first place. srry bout that.

Trey

donkason 
Copper - Posts: 189
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2003 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  
You don't need one amp per speaker. This was a misconception of mine when I first started car audio. What kind of voice coils are your speakers dual 4 or dual 2 ohm. And I told your brother he needs to wire his speakers in a series and then parallel to the amp. I am trying to find a diagram because explaining it is somewhat difficult. You can run many speakers on one amp as long as you the impeadence (ohms) of your speakers match your amp.
doubleduece 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2003 at 4:42 PM / IP Logged  

ok,thanx alot for replyin back to me. i saw that u helped my bro out alot and i was hopin 2 hear from you. if you get that diagram could you please send it to me? Is there any othr advice you could giv me on how to do my systme? thanx alot again.

Trey

donkason 
Copper - Posts: 189
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2003 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  
first I neen to know if your speakers are dual 4 ohm or dual 2 ohm voice coils. Otherwise I can't really help you. You don't exactly need 6 cubes for each sub either. If you want to do a ported enclosure you can use the minimum size is 3 cubic ft. and the max is 6. So if you don't want to built a wall you can shrink your box some. I wouldn't suggest 3 cubic ft. though if you are going for spl but you do have some room to play with from 6 cubic ft. I wouldn't want to wall it off either. It is too much of a hastle. You also need to make sure you built your box right. There is a lot more to it than slapping wood toghther. Are you going to have your box built by a professional? If not I have some pointers and the 12 volt has some great resources for info on ports
tdsteele 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2003 at 5:31 PM / IP Logged  

he was told to run one kx 1200.1 to them in a series,and all of them would get 1200 watts a piece.   That statement is not right. If you run 4 subs off that one amp they would each get a share of the 1200 watts, so each would see 300 watts, as long as the ohms were right anyways.

As far as wiring diagrams goes, i think the Rockford site has the best thing for getting good diagrams http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard/.

Just put in what you want or have and it will give the options you can choose from to wire the subs for the impendance the amp will see.

doubleduece 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2003 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  

Donkaston,thanx for the help once again. I was planning on b uying the 4 ohm version,is that ok? So if i port my box then i would be able to make it smaller? Why wouldnt you use just 3 ft? wut wuld be about the right amount? I was planning on buildin the box myself,i like doin stuff myself,it helps me learn better. How would you go about building it? And ill be more than happy to hear those pointers. And wut about what tdsteele said,is he talkin about antoher way to do it? Thanx alot.

Trey

aggie altima 
Silver - Posts: 298
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2003 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, i was wondering about that statement as well.
i read what he told your brother to do. wire the terminals of each dual 4 ohm voice coil sub in series to make each sub 8 ohms, and then wire each sub in parallel to provide a 2 ohm load to the amp. this is correct.
but when you wire resistors in parallel, the current is divided among the resistors. say you wanted to find the current to each sub. lets call the current provided by the amp, i_amp. using the current division equation, the math involved is
[(8| |8| |8) / (8| |8| |8 + 8)] * i_amp
(8| |8 means 8 parallel to 8, as in the resistors)
this reduces to
[(4| |8) / (4| |8 + 8)] * i_amp
which will reduce to
[(8/3) / (8/3 + 8)] * i_amp
and the final result is
(1/4) * i_amp
this means that each of the 4 speakers, each having an 8 ohm resistance, will recieve 1/4 of the current coming out of the amp, which leads to each of the speakers getting 1/4 of the power.
basically, the mono-amp only knows that it has a positive and negative speaker terminal, not the number of speakers. it only cares about what resistance you are providing at those terminals, and it provides power to the single final resistor which it sees.
if anybody objects to my math, please let me know, so i may be corrected.
Jon
Don't like rockford subs? Then don't look at my car =)
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic