icon

Best way to get +12V?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
unprofessional 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2003 at 6:38 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry if I sound a bit ignorant here but my only 12 volt experiance is rewiring things inside computers.  My plan is to do this myself even though it will probably take me a while, kinda like a learning experiance for me.

I am planning on installing an alarm system, door locks, and the "radio on until door open" all powered on the same +12V line.  I have me an inline 30A fuse which should do well, even if it may be a bit too big.

What is the best method for getting a 12 volt line?  I thought initially about cutting into the 12 volt running to the ignition but that wire is huge.  Another thought I had was using an aligator clip or something similar and tying into the battery directly.  Still another idea is using the 12 volt constant off the radio.

So what is the best method for getting power?  And what gauge of wire should I use? (I don't want a fire in my truck.)

The install is in my 2003 Ford Ranger.

sunsetcavy 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2003 at 7:08 PM / IP Logged  

well, i dont have too much experience, but ill tell you what ive done.

i always find wires comming off 10a fuses behind the fuse box and sauder into them. for the lights behind my gauges in my pillar pod, i saudered into the dimmer switch on my panels. just to give you some suggestions.

if i hold my breath, the rain will stop?
Blazermedic 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2003 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  
One little thingy that I'm fond of is the Littlefuse Add-A-Circuit. It's essentially another fuse that just plugs into your existing fuse box and has a 12+ hot lead coming off of the load side of the fuse. (The side that shows 12V when the car is on or in the Acc position.) It has a fuse built into it which is replaceable with a smaller or larger fuse. It comes in Mini and Standard sizes. Here is the link for this product at Parts Express.
Cary
unprofessional 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2003 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged  

Only problem with a setup like that is it wouldn't fit in my truck...

I have something like this right now, except from Radio Shack.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=14156505&St=1862&St2=-43778362&St3=-36153383&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=1459&DID=7

Just gotta figure out the best way to set this up so I don't fry any wiring with the high current.

Blazermedic 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2003 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  
What do you have the inline fuse holder attached to? The add-a-circuit sits flush under the cover to the fuse panel. One fits in the fuse panel in my S10 and there isn't much clearance.
With as much current as you're gonna run, it's probably gonna be less and less likely that you're gonna find a circuit to splice into. I really would consider running a new circuit.
Cary
ViperATC5 
Copper - Posts: 202
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2003 at 5:31 PM / IP Logged  
If you are installing an alarm, the best place to get your 12v source for everything that you are doing is right in the vehicles main ignition harness at the column. You will find this location convenient since you will need to access the starter wire in order to install your starter kill relay. Do not shy away from the wire because it is a heavier guage, the reason it is like this is because it is capable of supplying an adequate amount of amperage.
unprofessional 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2003 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  

OK so let's say I go for the big fat wire in the ignition harness.  How should I connect into it?  I don't have any connectors that can fit a wire that size.

Also if I do tie in there, what gauge wire am I safe running to the alarm and my relays?  The distance is maybe a foot, if that much.  I planning on having everything enclosed in the dash near the GEM and radio.

Also what guage wire should I run on my relays for the "radio on until door open"?  It doesn't seem like there is a lot of current there except for the accessory line.  18 guage good enough for the door triggers and ground?

ViperATC5 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2003 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  
you would want to strip back some insulation on the wire and then solder your wire that is going to the alarm to it, and the tape up the connection with 3M super 33+. you can connect the wire that runs directly into the alarm to that wire, but yes 18 guage is more than sufficient. If you are running new wires for your alarm because they are either too short or have been cut, be sure to fuse your power connections.
unprofessional 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2003 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  

You mean the 18 guage is fine for the relays right?  I was planning on running some 12 guage for my power connections, since there is the potential for drawing 30A or so when the radio is going.

I guess I need to learn to solder. lol

ViperATC5 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2003 at 8:01 AM / IP Logged  
Your alarm and radio will not draw 30 amps
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic