icon

2002 toyota echo ideas

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
c.c. 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2003 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged  

sorry it took me so long to reply, ive been out of commission.  no, you dont need to have a mounting ring for the rear 6x9's.  just make sure that when you take the off rear deck cover (its the plastic piece that has the carpet on it), that you pay special attention to the seat belt area.  they break very easily!!  i mounted my speakers right to the metal, but i used a foam padding between the speaker and the deck.  when you pull out the old speaker, there will be just a big gaping hole in the rear deck.  you will have to make new holes for the screws.

just as a side note.  the 6.5 kenwoods up front wont fit right with a 3/4" mdf ring.  the door panel hits the tweeter.  1/2 mdf makes it fit perfect.  oh, and if you want a direct bolt in for the front dash 4", i recommend Fosgate 4"...i think its like model #4022 or something.  the mounting holes (all 2 of them) will fit in just right, but one corner tab will have to be folded off.  most of the other 4" speakers will not have mounting holes that are "wide" enough to fit in the dash.  if you got any other questions, feel free to ask.

toyota echo...perfect sound named vehicle
pfitz 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2003 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  

I mounted to the steel deck, but he didn't want the factory grills because the new grill were "too cool not to use" so there is about a 1" space between the speakers and the grill, with no way to screw the grill on seperate from the 4 mounting holes for the speakers, hence the 1" rattle space.  I have the guy coming over in a few days(even though the back speakers are rattling all over the place!) to get the front speakers changed!  I told him up-front, there is NO WAY I am taking the factory grills off the front, so get used to that idea and call me back.  He said no problem and he'll be over on Saturday to hook them up.  I still can't sell him on a new deck, he wants a killer sound with the Toyota deck, now he is talking amps!!!!!!!!

This guy is a crooked installers dream, he hasn't a clue what he wants or needs, but he has all sorts of money to pay for it!  I have tried my best to explain the whole concept of good sound and good equipment, which is where I am sure we will end up, but he wants to half ass everything first and waste a few hundred bucks doing it!

Just like talking to the wall.2002 toyota echo ideas - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

c.c. 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2003 at 9:00 AM / IP Logged  
the only thing i can think of is to maybe try a 1" mounting ring to try to take up some of the space.  you would have to get really long screws though.  the front grill is actually part of the door panel, and the only way to remove it is to cut it out.  and if the vehicle is leased, why does he want the rear grills out anyway?
c.c. 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2003 at 9:05 AM / IP Logged  
trying to get good loud sound from a aftermarket head unit is hard...from a factory unit, its impossible.  but if you have new unit, and a good midrange-high amp, its sounds so much better.
pfitz 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2003 at 10:09 AM / IP Logged  

I just finished installing the front Sony 61/2".  Sounds better, but I think I have him convinced that he NEEDS a new deck!  He is talking 2- 15" subs in the trunk along with a monster amp and a lot of custom work..........Good for me$$,

I just wish he'd get a good deck!

I hate to have anyone going around town showing off my work when it just isn't going to have the sound he should get. 

The customer is always right?

I now have a new rate system - $40/hr if I do it, $60/hr if you watch and $80/hr if you help!

c.c. 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2003 at 3:18 PM / IP Logged  
i know what you mean...some people are clueless.  a guy i knew about 5 years ago tried to hook up his rdio and speakers and everything.  all the stuff he bought was sh*t, and when he put it in, it was all ass-backwards!  after i helped him, it sounded better(put speakers in phase) but still harsh and nasty from the 20 dollar set of speakers.
c.c. 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2003 at 3:44 PM / IP Logged  
hmm and trying to fit 2-15's in that trunk and have any space left...he must not need his trunk for anything.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic