icon

are t-taps or scotchlocks suitable ?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
CutDog504 
Silver - Posts: 637
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2003 at 1:31 PM / IP Logged  
Are t-taps or scotchlock connectors suitable for hi current applications such as remote start? I have previously only spliced in these type of wires, but I am looking for an easier (and faster) way to make these connections because i am swamped with so many jobs lately. I've started using t-taps for other connections such as doorlocks, door triggers, parking lights, etc. But i'm kinda skeptical if i'll have problems using them for remote start.
robHI 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2003 at 1:44 PM / IP Logged  
where can i get these t-tap for cheap and not buy bulk?
padawan 
Copper - Posts: 215
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2003 at 2:03 PM / IP Logged  
Well most people on these forums will tell you that t-taps suck...reason being, they sometimes get loose and even fall off causing wires not to be tapped into anymore, which causes problems, anywhere from stuff not working to fires and big money damages...so I can be sure that 99% of the people here will tell you to solder all your connections, which is the best way...
However, since I'm assuming you're an installer like me with tons of jobs and no help, like being at a shop or something, you can tap into your wires the way I do mine...Lots of people will say it's not safe or a sucky way to do it, but I have done it this way for a while now and it's never failed me once...
I strip some of the insulation back on the target wire using my wire stripper/crimper tool (what a life saver)...I take my wire I'm gonna use to tap into the target wire and strip some insulation off the end...I then twist the end tight, I take my test probe, poke a hole in it through the stripped target wire, I pass the wire through the hole, and wrap it around 5-6 times very tightly and securely...Next I grab my 3m electrical tape (3m brand never dry rots and comes loose), and wrap that around the connection as tightly as possible, then, for added security and a neat touch, I take a plastic zip tie, and zip that down over the connection as tight as possible...See if that works for you, I usually give the wire a few hard tugs after it's done, and it never comes out...it works well for me and is much faster than anything else I've tried...Like I said, this is my way, other installers won't agree, but it's good and safe...everything else I connect, I use butt connectors, but for tapping into wires, I use that method described above...
As far as where you can buy T-Taps, I used to get mine from the local auto parts store for like $4 for 50 of em.
elrayodesinaloa 
Copper - Posts: 120
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2003 at 2:10 PM / IP Logged  
I'd say butt connectors have worked best for me, but I feel comfortable with the poke twist and tape way. T-taps is the last thing I'd use for an installation, they really suck.
padawan 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2003 at 2:18 PM / IP Logged  
Hey CutDog504, do u happen to be located in New Orleans? Lemme know.
rudbwoy69camaro 
Silver - Posts: 350
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2003 at 7:15 PM / IP Logged  
Whoa there now.  High current stuff....solder is rock solid.  I've learned from the experienced techs out there... From my experience, it does make sense to solder it in.
unprofessional 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2003 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  

Only 3 of 6 of the posts in that link solder.  I don't see how that is much help here.

I am interested in this topic too as I plan on installing a Commando 870 pretty soon.  Bought me a soldering iron, I just don't know how to solder yet. lol

CutDog504 
Silver - Posts: 637
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2003 at 3:08 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah padawan, I am in New Orleans, how the hell did you know that? And as for solder, I dont like it. I end up being too sloppy with it and burn myself and all...I honestly prefer crimp butt connectors. I dont use t-taps too often, but I do use them. I was just wondering if it was safe to use them in a remote start setup, thats all. Current wise, are they safe?? I'm not asking whats most reliable, what comes back, or whatever. I'm asking is it safe. By safe I mean, will the connections get hot, or perhaps even melt or catch on fire or anything like that. I've used the brown scotchlocks (the double peircing ones) many many times in alarm installations to grab a power source off of the main power wire for the ign switch. These connectors seem VERY reliable. I've done many unistalls in which these brown scotchlocks were used, and every time I have either cuth em off, or pry them open with pliers and a screwdriver. But now I'm wondering if these would be safe for much higher current applications. Has anyone ever used these for that??
padawan 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2003 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged  
I knew by your name, CutDog, sounds like an old Cash Money lyric, and 504 duh....:) That's where I am, on the Bestbank!
And, I'm tellin ya, my way of tapping into wires is perfectly fine, trust me.
Maybe we can open up a business down here, gimme an email.
unprofessional 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2003 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  

To me it seems that as long as you wrap the wire really tight and use the method padawan described it would be fine for nearly all applications.  It is almost as good as solder, solder just makes the connection much more permanent and solid.  I need to learn to solder anyway for some other projects so I figure I might as well solder my first install.

If ya got the time then solder it, if you have to rush then wrap it tight and use zip ties on it.

Here are some past discussions on this that I just got done reading, might help you decide.

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=832&KW=solder

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=13566&KW=solder

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic