icon

are t-taps or scotchlocks suitable ?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mobiletoys2002 
Gold - Posts: 1,050
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2003 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  
t taps are no good for high current applications for the above reasons as well as current handling they are not designed for higher currents like remote start installs. If you use them there will be an increse in resistance on the wire and a higher heat will result in the wire sometimes this heat will melt the power harness for the remote start you are using. The poke, twist, and tape is a verry good way of making a connection,but if you had the time you should solder mostly.
CutDog504 
Silver - Posts: 637
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2003 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  
Every remote start I have done in the past I have use butt connectors. I cut the wire I'm tapping into, and shove it into a butt connector along with the remote start wire. I then connect the other end to the other end of the wire I cut. This method has never failed me or had any come backs. I tug on it to make sure its secure, and in all my years of installing, only 3 ever came loose. But it held with the next connector I put on.
Lately, I've been doing more and more installs and began using t-taps for smaller guage wire tapping. Wires such as door triggers, parking lights, doorlock wires, trunk triggers, etc. I've found that these are pretty reliable, I install literally in half the time. But I've never tried using a t-tap in a high current applcation such as remote start for fears that it would have too much resistance and get hot or melt. I guess my fears are true then. I guess I'll continue my method, or even the poke and twist method padawan spoke of. Its just that working in this high heat and high humidity in New Orleans, I try to get done as fast as possible. That why I was wondering about the t-taps, thats all. I like to take shortcuts sometimes, but not if my shortcut will cause it to fail, or be unsafe, or even do so much as cause a short or a fire. I'd rather take the time to do it right and safely the first time around.
floaterr 
Silver - Posts: 383
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2003 at 1:45 PM / IP Logged  
I've used T-tap on remote start in Texas power a/c blower motor. I have yet to see any melting. I wondered about it at first then I look at a 25 amp fuse and saw how small the wire was compared to the Ttap. The touble is they stink and big wires almost cutting them in half! I usually tape them up to make sure they dont pop open and groud out. I usually only have trouble on the little wires.
However I like the idea of the wire winding method. Sounds pretty solid with the exception of the tape drying out and exposing the wire(seen that here quite a bit with soldered connections) then blowing out fuses. Guess they used cheap tape.
I'm about to do another one and might try the wire method..
eurotek 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2003 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  

anyone that cannot use ttaps successfully still has room for more experience, go ahead, Ttap away, make sure you use only 3M and correspond the correct color to the size you need, too small connector will break the wire, to big will give intermitten problems

DO NOT solder on newer vehicles if you can avoid it, unless you plan on using a heat sink and shrink tubing with every single connection, if you choose to twist and tape(not a good idea) tie strap each connection as well.

In the past 8 years I have yet to see my Ttaps come loose.. once again, only 3M, the others do fall apart eventually on high current applications

JamesRH 
Copper - Posts: 102
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2003 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  

my personal opinion, you are a FOOL if you dont solder and shrink wrap wires when dealing with ignition wires. If those wires come loose you run the risk of shorting out any of the onboard computers, starting a fire, even causing things like pysical damage to the vehicle (Ive seen certain cars blow transmissions due to a short in certain accessory wires) and last off,,,your car couls catch on Fire.

swerks 
Copper - Posts: 224
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2003 at 11:51 PM / IP Logged  
t taps are for clowns straight up always solder your connections so you wou wont be a clown
rudbwoy69camaro 
Silver - Posts: 350
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2003 at 10:11 AM / IP Logged  

Finally, right on "JamesRH" & "swerks."  THE TRUTH !

are t-taps or scotchlocks suitable ? - Page 2 -- posted image.

eurotek 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2003 at 11:01 AM / IP Logged  

like i said, lack in experience will suggest soldering....

JamesRH 
Copper - Posts: 102
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2003 at 12:25 PM / IP Logged  
HAHAHA "lack of experience"....Im a professional...and if you want to say that, your the Lazy Amature. NEVER TAKE SHORT CUTS WITH IGNITON WIRES
padawan 
Copper - Posts: 215
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2003 at 1:22 PM / IP Logged  
Doesn't matter, "poke and wrap" works like a charm and the 3M tape will never come off if you use a zip tie over it, been doing it forever.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic