icon

are t-taps or scotchlocks suitable ?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
xetmes 
Silver - Posts: 586
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2003 at 1:58 PM / IP Logged  
I dont really think we need the name calling. If the method works and lasts does it really matter in the end?
eurotek 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2003 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  

excellent point about the small piece of metal inside a 25 amp fuse, or even a 30amp..

along with 12 years of installation experience and running my own business for 8 years, successfully, i also have a 2 year degree in electronics

a ttap is not used for high current, however, i want to see a remote start continuosly supply  25 or 30amps of current..     in high power car audio systems, yes, in remote start or alarms... NEVER..

any increase in resistance due to the supposed restriction of a connector, will be negligable... if you were to run your ignition wires on 16 or 18 ga for a great distance, then yes, you would have problems with wires heating up from increased stress when there is less resistance..

keep in mind, the thicker the wire the more resistance there is, however, in DC thicker wire allows current to flow more freely

exactly the opposite of AC

in fact, a connector, would lower the resistance value before it would increase it......   lower resistance equals increased current flow.. increased current flow means heat..   kind of like putting a wrench across battery terminals

either way, we all have our opinions, i used to solder, i used to twist and tape, i also did CODE ALARM type connections... all very time consuming without any benefit..    i spend about 60 to 75 minutes on alarms with remotes starters and have yet to see a car catch fire....

In fact, my single most expensive mistake , 7 years ago, cost me $114 when i burned a keyless entry module...  followed by a $10 lock switch,, in twelve years, i think that is pretty good.

jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2003 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  
The Strip, poke a hole and wrap the wire around 5 times and then tape and then use cable ties method takes twice as lonf as it does to solder. I tried that method on this bulldog unit a friend of mine brought to me when I was first starting off installing and it was very tedious. A little experience soldering and it is just as quick as a T-tap, and the connection when using solder can never be doubted. I used T-taps on a POS Van once to test a new unit out, and I ended up leaving the unit in for 6 months with no problems, but I would never use them for anything other than a test.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
padawan 
Copper - Posts: 215
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2003 at 8:39 PM / IP Logged  
If that takes you twice as long than it does to solder, you can't be very dextrous.
No disrespect to another installer, but I just can't see that taking longer than soldering...
jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2003 at 7:47 AM / IP Logged  
No offense, but you must not solder much at all, because soldering takes very little time to do when you know what you are doing.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
padawan 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2003 at 8:09 AM / IP Logged  
Only soldering I do is on microelectronics, as in Plastation 2 and XBOX mainboards.
floaterr 
Silver - Posts: 383
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2003 at 9:00 AM / IP Logged  
You might have a better soldering iron then the others. I know those butane units work like magic compared to some wall powered units. Makes a big difference in time and joint quality.
Also how can you be so confident of 3M tape but not the t-taps? Just wondering.
padawan 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2003 at 10:50 AM / IP Logged  
Well because the 3M tape doesn't dry rot, in my experience at least...
Also, once u put that zip tie over the taped connection, the tape isn't going anywhere...Try it on a couple pieces of scrap wire, and then once it's done, try to pull the wire u tapped with out, see if u can.
CutDog504 
Silver - Posts: 637
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2003 at 12:32 AM / IP Logged  
Hey padawan, you said you were in new orleans. I'm looking for work, do you know anybody whose hiring installers?
padawan 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2003 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  
Try RD Audio on the Westbank Expressway.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic