icon

amp keeps going into protect mode

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bigballer 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2003 at 7:24 PM / IP Logged  
alright, i have 2 alpine type r 12's in a 2000 honda civix. they used to work fine except my lights would dim alot a night when i played them, but now the amp keeps going into protect mode while my other amp running the inside speakers works fine. i dont know what to do. the fuses are fine and i think the battery is ok,(the battery indicator is still green)and my digital cap dosent ever turn off and i was under the impression that they slowly trikles down, (but i could be wrong). what should i do?
spl/luxy 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2003 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged  

What amps are you using ?.  Do you have a birth sheet for the amps?

And how are the subs wired up?

What impedence are the subs?

Cable size to the amps?

Earth to the amplifiers?

if you can give me this info i should be able to help out?

Australia's Loudest Street Max 3-4 Car Ever!
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2003 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  
your either pulling too much of a load and your charging system isnt up to par.
I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
hobbes6981 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2003 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged  
yeah I agree with Maxst. If your pulling a lower ohm load than the amp is safe at then watch out. And how much ventilation are those amps getting? The more the better.
bryceyaworsky 
Copper - Posts: 152
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2003 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  

You may want to switch the amps and try using your rear amp to run the mids.   Just try it for a minute and see if the amp goes into protection mode.  If it does then you should take it in to have it looked at.  If it works, even at higher volumes, put it back to the rear and try it again.  If something's wrong with the amp it'll go into protection mode.  Again, this means take it in.

I'm assuming that you have a proper impedence going to the amp, and that you don't have the gain cranked.  I had a similar problem once, and it turned out to be pricey.  If your amp is still under warranty, do some testing in your car to make sure it is broken, and if so take it in pronto.

bbmecp 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2003 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  

It could also be a blown sub with the voice coils shorting only when put under a large load as when the bass hits or even possibly a blown channel in the amp which only shorts under a large load. I did two years as a authorized repair tech for pioneer, sony, aiwa, kicker, and JL, and it could be either of those or what these other guys are saying but if you are familiar with your setup and have an dmm then just start testing each piece.

everyone calls me subwoofer
msf145 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2003 at 12:49 AM / IP Logged  
i had a problem the other day. my alpine amp was going into protect mode. it was because the wries on the output were frayed and one strand was crossing from the + to the -. see if the speaker wire somehow became loose and crossed over. sounds dumb but thats what happened to mine.
fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2003 at 9:20 AM / IP Logged  

If your amp plays your subs at low volumes it could be that you have blown a sub.  Depending on how your system is wired disconnect both subs from your amp terminals.  Trun on the system and see if the amp goes into protect mode.  It it does you have and internal amp issue.  If it does not try each sub independently.  By doing this you will be able to see which sub may be blown or shorting out.  

I recently had the experince of my subs shutting my amp down on two different systems.  One was because one of the coils were blown in one of my subs and the other was that the wires connecting the terminal leads to the voice coil were touching the casket of the sub when it bounced...

bigballer 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2003 at 10:55 AM / IP Logged  

im using a rockwood 4080 amp it says 1400 watts with 4 channels, im running 4 guage power and 4 guage grnd wires

i dont know what a birth sheet is.

the subs are bridged

i know the subs arent blown because i hooke a brand new sub to my amp.

the subs are 1000 watts  and 300 rms

spl/luxy 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2003 at 8:26 AM / IP Logged  
bigballer wrote:

im using a rockwood 4080 amp it says 1400 watts with 4 channels, im running 4 guage power and 4 guage grnd wires

i dont know what a birth sheet is.

the subs are bridged

i know the subs arent blown because i hooke a brand new sub to my amp.

the subs are 1000 watts  and 300 rms

Well a birth sheet is a bit of paper that tells you the exact  rms outputs of an amplifier.

I think that you may need to re-check all connections again,make sure the impedence load on the amp isnt too low for the amp.What is the impedance on the subs and are they svc or dvc.What size box are they in.If you cant find some of this info out it may be a bit hard to help you out sorry .Info on the subs are on the back of the magnet if you dont have a birthsheet or for the amp have alook for a website.let me know how u go.

Australia's Loudest Street Max 3-4 Car Ever!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic