icon

Alpine 15'' or Phoenix Gold 15'' subwoofer

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
skyRyder 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2003 at 1:27 AM / IP Logged  

Hey guys, wassup? .. i am just searching for good suggestion and good opinions on CAR Audio System. I really want to buy a 15" subwoofer for meh car, i dont know what is good and i want you guys give me some idea

- ALPINE SWR-5141D

- PHOENIX GOLD Titanium 15/15d

Which one is better to use with my ALPINE Amp T757 ?  or my amp is not strong enough to run this sort of subwoofer?  i want deep bass and my cousin got the 15" Phoenix gold older version, it sound pretty good with his ALPINE amp...  I also has ALPINE HeadUnit top of the range as well..... which is the better for me to choose?

thank alot in advance guys 

wizzle 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2003 at 1:34 AM / IP Logged  

check what the power rating is for each of the speakers and see what is closest.  DON"T UNDERPOWER THE WOOFER.  if you want deep bass, a 15 will definitly provide that, but the enclosure is also very important.  going to ported or bandpass enclosures will ensure a lower, louder, and harder hitting bass.  also, just wondering why you're limiting yourself to only two brands.

JamesRH 
Copper - Posts: 102
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2003 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  
I like phoenix gold amps, but when comparing prices Alpine makes the better sub for your dollar
JamesRH 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2003 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  
i have two Type R 15's running at about 300WRMS, and i hit 154.3DB...
wizzle 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2003 at 2:54 AM / IP Logged  
really???????? 154 dB's???? @ 300 watts RMS?????  For 2 15 inch type r's????????  interesting..... what kind of enclosure are you using.  can't be sealed, so what is the box tuned at?  what kind of vehicle are you running this in? 
JamesRH 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2003 at 12:19 PM / IP Logged  
hahaha...the car....a piece of crap 1981 Mercury Z7 coupe(mods include a 180 amp alternator running at 15.2 Volts and 2 extra batteries joint together with 2/0 wire(thats not 2 guage, thats two times bigger than zero guage)...the box...2 wedge shaped ported boxes located where the back seat used to be...tuned really high for 15's at about 48 Hz (dont recal exactly what)...The box dimensions are straight out of the mouth of an Alpine SPL tech, who i spoke to about best SPL tips for those subs, and i made my own calculations to use square ports instead of the sudjested tow 4" diameter ports...Please trust me when i say that I am not lying with that number, cause I have been a judge at acouple comps and I HATE amature style readings. My car was tested with everyting closed, and the mike stuck in the corned between my windshield and dash suction cupped to the window.
skyRyder 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2003 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  

ALPINE 15" SWR-5141D and PHOENIX GOLD Titanium 15/15d  about the same price, i want a good deep bass and worth of the money....  all i want is QUALITY and good bass.... can anyone here give me some advice which is good, or if someone here owned  ALPINE 15"  or Phoenix Gold 15" subby please tell me what you think and what is good about it?

thank... Wizzle and JamesRH

Pharaoh 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2003 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  
Well the alpines are generally viewed as more of an SQ speaker (sound quality if you didn't know :P). But I also know from experience that they can be very loud indeed. I owned 2 alpine type R 12 dvc's, and they were amazing.. loved them to death... went to a pure SPL set up now so I sold them... I'd assume the 15s are just as good.
JamesRH 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2003 at 9:16 AM / IP Logged  
I have two Alpine SWR1541's and they are definately not SQ subs, they are Really Loud, but that is all they are, they do not have great range but move about 3" so make loads of air move which is what you want if your going for SPL. Ive always thought PG subs were over prices but this years models look promising, PG had in my mind usually made a good product that costs a little too much.
skyRyder 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2003 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  

Thank JamesRH and Pharaoh ....

anyone else here has got the Phoenix Gold, i want to hear about it....... i am pretty sure that someone here has Phoenix Gold 15" subby (titanium) ...

JameRH:  The one i was looking at is ALPINE SWR 1521D (2 ohm) only .... and what sort of head unit have ya got ?

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic