icon

Fuse block LED's

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mj239air 
Copper - Posts: 153
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2003 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged  
Ok I know this can be done but not sure how to. I am wanting to put a bank of LED's up front that has 2 LED's per fuse on my distribution blocks. I want there to be a red and a green LED. The green one will be lit when the fuse is in tact, but if it is blown, I want the red one to light up. I am not sure how to wire this up so if anyone can help I would appreciate it. I thought there was a question like this before but was unable to find any threads
xetmes 
Silver - Posts: 586
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2003 at 5:12 AM / IP Logged  
yea it can be done, although if i were you i would use a dual color LED, that way it can be green then change to red. But do you want it on when the vehicle is off? Im assuming not... ill draw you up a diagram..
sufferrar 
Copper - Posts: 190
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2003 at 6:11 AM / IP Logged  
This sounds useful to me too. Draw me up one too.
"I'm So Loud It Hertz"
mj239air 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2003 at 6:33 AM / IP Logged  
Well it would be nice if I could hook it to a switch maybe since my vehicle will be in shows and not always am I going to have the vehicle running. So if I wanted to flip a switch I could show that all my fuses are good. Just a thought. Any help would be appreciated. Never thought of just using the dual color, would be easier that way
xetmes 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2003 at 7:31 AM / IP Logged  

alright here are a few diagrams that will work...

Fuse block LED's -- posted image.

Fuse block LED's -- posted image.

The first 3 all do the same thing in a different way. first one uses a relay, and a resistor, 2nd one uses some reistors and a diode, third uses some resistors and a transistor.

The next 2 diagrams are to shut it all off when the car is not running. This is only needed is the fuse has power when the car is off, if it doesnt have power when the car is off this is not needed. First one uses a transistor, second uses a good old automotive relay.

Also the circuits all derive power from the unfused side of the fuse, i only did this to make the diagrams much easier to read, but would recommend, that the lead that is attached to the unfused side actuallt be connected to a fused power source of its own.

The reason i drew 3 different diagrams is just to allow you to choose the one you want, I would reccoment the first one if you are only going to hook this up to one or two fuses and want the ability to use a dual color common cathode LED.

The second one i would recommend if you are using it for 1 or more, but do not plan on using a dual color LED.

The third i would recommend for 2 or more, a dual color LED can be used with this set up. I only say 2 or more because it uses a transistor, most people dont have transistors laying around (just about any PNP transistor will do). This setup uses much less current than the relay diagram and slightly less than the 2nd diagram.

The second last circuit (the relay used to shut this off), I would recommend this for any number of fuses because of the current this wll aloow.

The last circuit (same purpose as previous) i would use only for less than 10 fuses. although the resistor value can be changed to allow about 20 to be used.

Let me know if you guys use these or want more info.

xetmes 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2003 at 7:33 AM / IP Logged  

ohh if you want to use a switch just use it to apply ground to any of the first 3 circuits.

Dont be afraid of the circuits, to some they may look complicated but they are really not, if you have any questions just let me know.

wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2003 at 8:59 AM / IP Logged  
Damn dude! Nice work Fuse block LED's -- posted image.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
mj239air 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2003 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  
Ok so let me get this straight. I am going to have 10 fuses so I would want to use the 3rd option. Do I have to repeat the entire circuit for all 10 fuses? Since I want the LED to change to red when the fuse is blown, wouldn't I want this connected to the non distributed side of the fuse block. If I do it to the other side, it wouldn't be per fuse but for the whole block. thanks though for the help and I can't wait to get it hooked up. Would this be easiest to do on a circuit board also?
xetmes 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2003 at 3:39 PM / IP Logged  

hah thanks wvsquirrel,

For 10 fuses i would definitly go with the third one, you want to hook it up so that the fuse in the diagram(looks like a sine wave labeled F1 or F2) is wired so that the right side is the ouput of the fuse, the side that has no power when the fuse is removed. The reason it has power from the other side also is so that the red can illuminate when the fuse is actually blown.

Yes you would have to use the circuit for each fuse, its really not as difficult as it looks, i could probably make the circuit for all 10 on a 2" x 2" board, you defintly want to use some perf-board or a circuit board or it will become a big mess, lol

mj239air 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2003 at 4:18 PM / IP Logged  
So I can do this pretty easy, let me ask how would you say to attach the wire to the fuse block and what size of wire would you use? I have a lot of cat-5 wire and thought this would be a good use for it since I am going to be doing this in my suburban. I figured that since each fuse has it's own screw and I am making a seperate plate for all to mount to I could attach it to that screw on the back of my plexiglas?   Would that be ok? and then I could have just one wire for power to the whole set up if I am not mistaken.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic