icon

ford alarm installation

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
babysho 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2003 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged  
Can anyone out their help me with my alarm installation. I need help installing the output wire from the alarm module to the vehicle. So that I could make the alarm work with my horn. I have a 1999 ford taurus Se and from the wire diagram it indicates that the color is PURPLE / orange but I cannot for the world find that wire. My alarm is a new from ford motor company a powercode system 4 with the dna chip please someone help me before I cut anymore unnecessary wiring.
ar
swerks 
Copper - Posts: 224
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2003 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  
get an aftermarket alarm man trust me i work in a fotrd dealership they are terrible
Steve Sverdahl
Swerksound Auto Electric
Red Deer Alberta
babysho 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2003 at 11:03 PM / IP Logged  
Too late know I have it all install except for the horn output but your right I had some problems in the past. Might as well finish what I started. Do you know anything about installing alarms? If not anyone out their who does please help thanks!
ar
ituneyou 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2003 at 11:51 PM / IP Logged  
If you look at the wires coming down the steering column you should be able to  find the horn wires, its usually a negative triggered wired coming off the horn button.  good luck
A man has got to know his limitations
elrayodesinaloa 
Copper - Posts: 120
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2003 at 12:14 AM / IP Logged  

Ok don't cut wires, instead test them with a dmm or whatever you're using as a tester (hopefully it's a safe tester) that wire should come from the steering wheel down to the steering column along all the wiring. It's usually a thin wire that shows 12volts and when you press the horn goes to 0 volts (ground), if you don't feel comfortable doing this you can always go straight to the horns they're usually right behind the front bumper but you'd have to wire it through a relay, you can wire the relay inside the vehicle and just run the trigger wire to the horn(s) just make sure you fuse the relay.

elrayodesinaloa 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2003 at 12:19 AM / IP Logged  

you can use this relay diagram for that application

86 horn wire FROM alarm

85 & 87 12v fused

30  to vehicles horn

87a not used

jgstone 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2003 at 11:37 AM / IP Logged  
the horn trigger is going to be a negative trigger so there is no relay needed. the wire will read 12v when resting and ground when the horn is pressed. there is a four pin plug to the left of the steering column.
I like cars more than women, because their the perfect challenge.
          ___
______|    \___
|_0___|____0_ }
elrayodesinaloa 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2003 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, I suggested the relay since he can't  find the negative wire on the column. The relay is to activate the horns on the engine compartment.
NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2003 at 5:16 PM / IP Logged  
Hey..Yes you definately should not need a relay although he is right if it comes down to it you could use it. Anyway look for some plugs to the right of the steering column are usually one or two plugs with maybe 5 wires going into each. Is there a plain purple wire in there? I sort of remember the wire coloring for the horn being off on some of those so check for a plain purple or violet wire in one of those plugs. Note: Use a multimeter to test the wire! As others have said it will sit at 12v and when you push the horn the 12v will go away until you let go of the horn. Take a look and let me know what you find. Also if there are connectors there you can unplug the connectors and push the horn. If it still works, then you have the wrong connector plug it back in and try another one. If you unplug a connector and it stops working then bingo your horn wire is one of the ones in that plug..Good luck and be careful.
NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2003 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  
Also make sure for all this horn testing that you have the car off!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic